Honored Contributor

Re: New patient and Social #

@patbz   So sorry you had to be exposed to such nonsense.  I usually handle these absurdities with laughter also....better than crying.

Honored Contributor

At one time the SS number was used on your Medicare card and health insurance cards.  It is no longer allowed. So there is no need give it out anymore to medical offices.

My medical eye doctor takes a picture of you on your first visit. The picture shows up in the upper right corner of your records online.  I notice it in his exam room...along with pictures of my eye scans.

I have other doctors and the hospital that I go to do this as well.  They also check out the pic on my drivers license or other picture ID each time I go in and compare that to what they have on file.

Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd :  I wasnt offended, just thought that bending over that far backwards was silly.  Some of the old guys in the waiting room were making some very funny remarks.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

No, I don't believe it's the norm.  I've never been asked for mine and wouldn't give it. 

It may be more common for them to ask for it in some areas of the country than others.

Honored Contributor

My doctor has never asked for my SSN. I wouldn't give it to them over the phone either. 

Respected Contributor

One would thunk they would not want to have unnecessary info in their files.  Yes, they still ask and I still leave blank.  Years ago schools asked SS for kids and I refused.  They still graduated.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I was making an appt with a new medical doctor, the receptionist asked all the necessary questions then asked for my social number.  I do not recall that being asked before but have not been to a new doctor in years.

I would not give it to her, is this the norm? 

One of my Drs ask for it, and I told the receptionist, I wasn't looking for a job, just wanted to see the Dr. That was the end of that. I don't give my SS number and you shoudn't either. I read this years ago and I've stuck by it.