Esteemed Contributor

Re: New drama, DH got melanoma diagnosis from surgeon today.

I had melanoma in 2001 and I'm still here to tell the tale. Last month I found a spot on my foot that worried me and even though my podiatrist thinks it's a bruise (I had worn new heels the night before), I will be seeing my dermatologist next Tuesday. The key to dealing with melanoma is catching it early. However, I know there are new treatments that have been effective in fighting more advanced cases. So take a deep breath, see where you and your husband are with diagnosis, and know that you can be in control of the situation. Good luck!

Respected Contributor

One is never ready to hear that kind of news, BUT the good news is that you don't have to panic or worry.  Everything will be taken care of step-by-step by the doctor.

My husband had melanoma removed from his face and it was deep.  He survived melanoma for many, many years, and died from something else.  It is not a death sentence.

Relax and live your life.

Contributor

After you receive the stage and know if there are any sites of metastasis, consider going to the National Cancer Institute website for up to date treatment information.  NCI is the national cancer information and treatment center.  They sponsor and approve most of the treatments.  If you look at big cancer treatment centers, they often say that they are 'NCI treatment centers'.  You will get accurate and up to date information on any type of cancer and treatment at that site