New Contributor

it seems that it has become socially acceptable to be polite in person and rude when nobody is looking.I dont approve.How about you?

Honored Contributor

Re: New definition of polite?

I think we can thank the internet for that.  People who don't have the nerve to be rude in person go crazy on the internet.

Honored Contributor

Being anonymous gives people a false sense of it's okay because nobody knows me.  

Honored Contributor

This morning I was in the Walmart Grocery store.   A young woman came at me full speed with her cart.   She just glared at me...........but the approx 2yr old in the kiddie seat said, "I'm sorry."

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Contributor

modern technology definately helps people who have a questionable character fall down the moral compass rabbit hole faster!!!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In general, it seems to me that being polite has become less than socially acceptable...  it's become something to mock or ridicule.   Saying a person is "nice" has become an insult, and we see people applauded and complimented for rude, sarcastic insults.   They're said to be "telling it like it is," with "brutal honesty," or "just saying what they feel," when in fact it's just an excuse to be mean and brutal and it's certainly not something that takes exceptional intelligence or skill, and surely not something for which to be congratulated or admired.
          I don't know what's happened to our judgment and our personal standards, but it's as though we think people who are kind, respectful and civil are weak...  yet some of the strongest, most courageous, powerful, inspirational people I know are also the kindest and most thoughtful.

Regarding the internet, there's a quote:
  "The true test of a person's character is what he does when no one is watching." (John Wooden)  

I think on the internet we could quite accurately rephrase that to say:
"The true test of a person's character is how they act, and how they treat others, when using an 'anonymous' nickname on the internet."

Welcome, @1989-2001!   Great to have you join us, and thank you for being willing to start an interesting thread!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I think it is because of the me first attitude that some children are raised with and rude children become rude adults.  They also see how adults are definitely not setting a good example.   

Honored Contributor

What I see on this board is many people who - any time anyone has a different opinion than their's they call you mean & rude. It is neither mean nor rude to disagree with someone. It is , however, extremely rude to call someone names for disagreeing with you.

Seems many people don't have a clue about what manners are.

Esteemed Contributor

I bet there are people who literally have no idea what the word "polite" means.....

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

What I see on this board is many people who - any time anyone has a different opinion than their's they call you mean & rude. It is neither mean nor rude to disagree with someone. It is , however, extremely rude to call someone names for disagreeing with you.

Seems many people don't have a clue about what manners are.

The problem here is not usually the "disagreement".

The problem is usually the way the "disagreement" is expressed. An "opinion" can either be expressed In objective respectful language or by using subjectively tinged language.

Makes all the difference.

ex. "I really disliked ____________'s gown at the Oscar ceremony."

OR

"_____________________" looked stupid and fat at the Oscar Ceremony in her ugly 

dress".

Which sentence style expresses a strong opinion without out using subjective language?