Esteemed Contributor

Re: New car battery

[ Edited ]

This was Kia Roadside Assistance who replaced it. It was in my driveway so no towing involved. I looked online for the battery and the prices were about the same at Pep Boys and another place so he did not gouge me. I called 3 places with the dealer being $318 plus tax so around $350. Kia charged me $275 flat. Another place I called was about the same. That’s what new batteries cost now a days because they are special and have to run all the electronics that new cars have. Batteries do not last more than 2-3 years in Arizona. The sizzling heat just fries them. My husband had to have his replaced last week. They are also only under new car warranty for 24 months. 

The last time I had AAA replace a battery in my truck it turned out he put the wrong one in. It could have been worse. He told me the Chevy Malibu has two batteries. One for the internet and electronics and another one for the rest. I’m sure once one of them goes they both go. 

Honored Contributor

Not the actual car battery but our key batteries - both went bad at the same time.

I was out and when I came in I said to my husband that there was a yellow flashing key on the dash board that I had never noticed before.  He told me, yeah it was happening to him to.

I searched the manual, to no avail then did a google search to find out what it was and why it was flashing.

He replace both batteries and all was well.

Respected Contributor

Lot of things can drain a car battery ,I was told the extreme heat , a blinker not being turned off, a door left a jar,Air and heater left on radio left on when you turn the car off.I do a complete check before locking the car. 

Honored Contributor

I take mostly short trips running errands, grocery store, etc.  I find these are very hard on batteries.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

For all you people living in Southern states (and everyone else during summer weather): Please have all the belts and your tires checked frequently, as well as batteries. Those rubber hoses and belts deteriorate and break at the least opportune times. Tires loose air; hopefully only causing fuel inefficiency before they are checked.  Heat is harder on a vehicle than bitterly cold temperatures!

Posters are correct: vehicles have so many electronics and the batteries are in use 24/7. We are no longer able to rely on cars that have been sitting for a several weeks while we've been on lengthy vacations, or ill, etc., if the battery is not in like-new condition. 

A good dealership is your best help for topping off fluid levels, air pressures (don't forget the spare tire!) and checking under the hood for worn hoses or belts, as well as testing your battery for cranking power (if unable to do so yourself). If you take your vehicle(s) in for regular oil changes, you should be fine. A good dealer will do all those things (and more) as part of the normal service (usually without charge). My dealer also rotates the tires with each oil change at N/C. Drive a safe vehicle and you'll be a safer driver. 

ETA: Also remember to check and replace the windshield wipers, as necessary! They are made of rubber and deteriorate from heat and sun. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady:  We put very high yearly mileage on our cars and religiously perform routine maintenance.  We don't usually go to a dealer after warranty is up (except for 50k, 100k etc), instead we use Big O for oil changes, tire rotation, etc -- I trust them way more than my local dealers and they are fair in what they charge (and no $100 to check my engine light--that happened at local dealer--for a unscrewed gas cap).

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patbz  Ouch!  That dealership isn't out for winning any awards for their Customer Service. I would hope most owners of dealerships look after their customers much better. Sorry to hear that.  

I hope you spoke with the owner. (You were charged for an hour of labor.)

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady: I did speak with the owner and told him I wouldn't be buying another car from them-- and I didnt!

Respected Contributor

We’ve been AAA members for over 40 years. When the battery on my (then) new RAV4 died for no apparent reason, the AAA tech called the Toyota dealership who sent someone to tow it out of our carport. After running some tests, they decided it was a defective battery and replaced it at no cost (for anything). 

AAA’s Road Service is great when your battery dies. Their techs are very knowledgeable and professional. We have 3 cars and have bought several replacement batteries from them. The quality and cost is comparable to a garage/service facility and they’re warranteed. They’ll give you a jump if that’s all you need. If your battery’s shot, they usually have a replacement battery on their truck and can make the change quickly. DH has never been known for his mechanical abilities, but now that we’re older, it’s reassuring to know that we can rely on AAA to change a flat tire or jumpstart a battery for us. They usually arrive much faster than the estimated arrival time that the call center gives, too. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You don't even want to know how much it was to replace my Lexus SUV battery....but it was almost 6 years old...I was surprised because I got no warning....no trouble starting or any hint it was getting weak...just got in the car and nothing....the road assist guy said that is what happens when the heat kills them.