Respected Contributor

Wow! My car is dead this morning and I called Kia Roadside assistant. He was great. Got here in about 15 minutes. Yup. Dead battery. I called the dealer (naturally the battery is out of warranty) and it seems the cars now (Kia anyway) require a special H7 AGM battery at close to $325.00. Our old pickup truck had its battery replaced last week for $140.00 and I thought that was bad. The heat just kills them out here. Your lucky to get 2-3 years. Seems they need a special battery to run all the toys cars have these days. I called around and the best price was $275.00. So much for my retail therapy today.

Esteemed Contributor

@Meowingkitty - We have the same problem in the South - gone out a couple of times to find the car deader than a door knob - I think I'm on my second battery in 10 years - but my car had a fairly new one when we moved here.

One more thing to start the day...

Honored Contributor

Car alarms drains batteries reason for their short life cycle.

Cars w/o alarms, the batteries usually last 5-7 yrs.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

OUCH!

I just got a new battery earlier this month. Certainly not $325. Glad you got good service with Kia Roadside Assistant. Well at least you won't have to worry about your battery for the next 2-3 years.

Respected Contributor

A few years ago I realized my car was dead so I called roadside assistance.  It ended up being the battery. The guy looked at the sticker on my battery which showed it was 8 years old and he said - you know, batteries don’t last more than 7 years! (kind of like - what do you expect!)  I never really thought about the age of my car battery and whether it was getting old but I do now.     My car is 15 years old so no bells and whistles on it!

Honored Contributor

My battery died in my new car before it was 1 year old. They wanted to charge me $200 or so for a battery. I told them my car was not even a year old & I would not be paying a dime for a new battery.

They hooked it back up to a machine after that & said well it's charged now & seems to be fine. I said no when you first hooked it up to the machine it showed it was no good. Of course now since the car was running & the battery got some what charged does not mean it's a good battery. Their machine told me all I needed.

I was leaving to go to Fl the next morning & told them there was no way I was getting out on the highway with a piece of ****** battery.

They replaced it at no charge.

They also scratched up one of our wheels when we had it in for maintenance. We made them replace it at no charge also. They did not like it but they were they ones that caused the problem. No way was I paying $400 for something they did.

Respected Contributor

Batteries last 2-3 years in Arizona. The heat just fries them. After about two years you know it’s gonna die, just a matter of when. 

Valued Contributor

I have a very old (2007) Hybrid Highlander.  The oringal battery went a few years ago and my BF replaced it with a non-Toyota battery. That lasted about a year and we replaced it with another no-Toyota battery. That battery caused a spike and one of the electrical notificattion thingees  (not sure if that's the right term) shorted out. 

End result is that the part and the battery were replaced for a bit over $400.  Lesson learned.....with this type of car need to get Toyota parts. 

Esteemed Contributor

You may want to check triple A. They sell batteries. They come  to  your home,check your old one, and sell you another. You need a code to connect the new one.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

My battery died in my new car before it was 1 year old. They wanted to charge me $200 or so for a battery. I told them my car was not even a year old & I would not be paying a dime for a new battery.

Who is "They?"  Dead battery is not covered under your "new" car warranty?

I have AAA & free road side service.  I would have had them towed my car back to the dealership & throw a hissy fit if my battery died.  I bought a new car last year too.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif