Honored Contributor

She was born on the 17th of August, we are the great grandparents...I would like to see the baby but we have not been invited over for a visit.

Should I just call and say we'd like to come over or wait for the invite?

thanks

Respected Contributor

Re: New baby in the family....

I would wait for an invite.  Is this the first baby?  If so, they are probably just getting used to having a baby around, working with the baby's schedule - sometimes it's a struggle for young mothers (breastfeeding and such).  But that's just me.  They may also have a lot of family coming over and it can be overwhelming. 

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal...this is the second baby.  The issue is that her husband's family always seems to come first, gets old after a while.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs Congratulations, I have found out the hard way not to just stop by without calling first, I have been yelled at for doing so, especially if they are new parents, they may be feeling overwhelmed as new parents often do, but I see nothing wrong with giving them a call and asking would it be alright if you were to come over to visit with them and the new baby, you must be chomping at the bit to get your arms around that new bundle of joy, bless your hearts!

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@hoosieroriginal...this is the second baby.  The issue is that her husband's family always seems to come first, gets old after a while.

@Mom2Dogs - yeah, she may just be trying to keep the peace at home. 

Honored Contributor

I'd call and say you're anxious to see the baby.  Ask them to let you know when it would be convenient for you to drop by.  Be sure to take some pictures.  I treasure the few photos I have of me with my great grandparents. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Congratulations! I would wait a while yet since the baby is only a few days old. What a lucky baby to have loving great grandparents. I know it is hard to wait. Enjoy your visit when you do get to see her!

Honored Contributor

Wow!  That's great!  I'd wait for a little while.  I've had 3 children and have 7 living grandchildren.  I was lucky to be there when each grandchild was born (my children are all girls and wanted me there along with their husbands).

It's difficult adjusting to a new baby for a family.  It's often a time in the beginning for nesting and discovering the newborn.  I never went over to my girl's houses until they called and asked me to come (in my case it was only a day or so because they needed sleep).  Ha!

I'd wait if I were you.

Esteemed Contributor

Why not cook her a meal and call her to see if you can bring it over. New parents always appreciate a good meal after getting home from the hospital.

Valued Contributor

Having had no experience with this I had no idea this was how it is.

How very sad for all the caring relatives.   To be yelled at and ignored.  I am profoundly sorry for everyone. 

I hope there are better days ahead.