Honored Contributor

Re: New Year, New Bird's Nest (January 2019)

happy, white, pig, wallpaper, design, party, winter, sign, paper, flyer, event, celebrate, ribbon, template, badge, abstract, new, entertainment, card, tradition, holiday, symbol, celebration, date, Christmas, invitation, banner, decoration, colorful, vacation, confetti, poster, greeting, year, calendar, anniversary, noel, carnival, celebrating, brochure, number, eve, occasion, new-year, 2019, year of the,

Danky,  Thank you and a very Happy and Blessed New Year to you and your loved ones.   

Not very wintery here today.   Sunny and in the 40ies.  Looks like we will be in the 50ies for a day or two this weekend.   

My birds are eating me out of house and home.  The Carolina Wren is usually the first to get to the feeder after I fill it and if not her, the Chickadees and Nuthatch, and Tufted Titmice.   Love all those critters. Heart

Honored Contributor

Frances Michele ready for winter 2017 By Scooter's Scotties

Winifred,  We have a lot of the same loss of habitat that you mentioned.  We used to have foxes, skunks, more possums,  red fox squirrels, etc and now just a possum or two, raccoons now and then, (though I wish they'd not come and damage things),   We do have a lot of birds, but I don't hear screech owls anymore,  not many bunnies.   I think we only have so many birds is because I feed so much.   I worry about them when I'm not here and wonder what'll happen to them when I am no longer here to feed them.  

I hope Luvsbulldogs is doing ok.   I haven't seen a post from her in a long time.  I could have missed it though.  Sometimes I fall  behind in reading and need to catch up. 

Hope you are doing ok.   Miss Blackie too.   I hope Ditty will get used to coming inside when it gets so cold.  My one outside kitty,  Monet(Monie) has disappeared.  She was here last Friday but I haven't seen her since.  She was around 17 to 18 years old and I miss her.  Quite a character, a beautiful tortie who didn't like being picked up or being inside.  Quite an independent little gal. Heart 

Honored Contributor

Image may contain: bird

Honored Contributor

Image may contain: snow and outdoor

Honored Contributor

Image may contain: outdoor

Honored Contributor

Image may contain: bird and outdoor

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Image may contain: tree, sky, snow, plant, outdoor and nature

Respected Contributor

Possum, I forgot our missing owls which we had by the zillions also. And the skunks, how could I ever forget them - sure have cleaned a lot of dogs through the years. I continue to feel very strongly the invasion of the two legged critters into the territory which belonged to the feathered ones and four legged critters has been the major cause of this part of nature's habitat. So disappointing. Bottom line, however is what on earth caused the massive disappearance of the Hummingbird - that to me has no rhyme or reason I do know that due to the drought in part we have lost trees and continue to lose them. Every single fruit tree which we had - and had a lot of them, have died over the past 3 to 4 years. Also have lost other trees due to diseases and I find all of this heartbreaking also. 

Ditty has come in but seems to be very nervous when he does. Blackie walked in the washroom when I had put down some food for Ditty and Ditty screamed like a stuck pig. Neither cat made any effort to attack the other. Ditty just went insane and Blackie stood there and looked. Interesting. Needless to say I got Ditty out quickly so he could eat in peace and knowing Miss Blackie could go from zero to 100 in a second - well thought it best. Ditty appears to be more skittish than he was so am hoping nothing bad has happened to him. Tried to get his flea meds on him the other day and he did NOT like that at all so it was not a good job.

I have wondered about Luvs also. Loved the pix of Conrad in his Scottish plaid. LOL.

Have a good day everyone.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sometimes I think about what would happen to my backyard wildlife if something happened to me.  The neighbor on one side of me tolerates birds but nothing else (she's does a garden every year).  The neighbor on the other side of me doesn't like wildlife period.  

I think my property became popular over the years because I welcome everything.  Even when the skunks spray near the house and my house smells to the high heavens for a day, I figure the skunks have to go someplace, you know?

I had a couple of bunnies in the yard this past summer.  I thought I saw the reflective eyes of a small possum under the shrub in the fall.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise