Honored Contributor

Re: New Year, New Bird's Nest (January 2019)

Here are pictures of a Robin in the Toyon bush/tree, most of the berries have now been stripped from it by the Robins.DSCF8111.JPGDSCF8117.JPG

Honored Contributor

Wow @Danky you have hawks in your yard?  I have a couple that try to feed in my backyard (nailing other birds that come to eat) but they don't live here.  

You got any small dogs or cats that go outside?   

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

493 best Westie & Scottie Snow Babies images on Pinterest ...

Honored Contributor

No photo description available.

Honored Contributor

Secrets of the Lost Caves FINAL » downTURK - Download ...

Honored Contributor

49639307_1945960962169581_6333296841253191680_n.jpg

Respected Contributor

Hi Birdmama.....

they are a little intimidating which is why I steer clear.....I have a wonderful view from my door and with my binoculars can see just about everything.

I have no cats but do have three German Shepards and each one is over 100 lbs.....the Hawks are not at all scared...

Happy New Year to Possummink.....

Honored Contributor

@Danky  I'm glad that your dogs are large.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I have fed the birds for many years.  I have a feeder with sunflower seed outside the window where the cat tree is.  Henry, my cat, likes to sit at the window and watch the birds.  In the back yard I have a feeding station with a hopper feeder for safflower seed, a finch feeder with nyjer seed and a seed cylinder feeder with a woodpecker blend.

I added the cylinder feeder a few months ago and am really enjoying seeing the bluebirds and downy woodpeckers at my feeder.  The woodpeckers would come to my other feeders but not as frequently as they do now.  I think that's my favorite feeder.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

NickNack you are lucky - woodpeckers? Ours - along with many other species have completely disappeared - I really miss them. Blue Jays have become rare and they use to fill the sky They are beautiful but ornery. Woodpeckers I have not seen now in perhaps 30 years - hummingbirds are few these days and they too, use to fill the skies although lower flying than the Blue Jays. Mockingbirds which I would just sit and watch - they are so funny - disappeared only a couple years back. I wonder if the sever drought we had did them in. Overbuilding in nature' s once vastland has had a lot to do with not having so many birds any more and also other critters like opossums, fox, coyotes, deer and a few other critters.. We still have a lot compared to some places but not like we use to. I miss them.

Doggies on the street got out of their yards today - strange as they somehow got out of four places. That is weird as occasionally you may see one who got out but hnot at that many places. My street is only one block long so one sees most of what goes on at any place here LOL.

Saw Confrad and either his sister and brother playihng in the snow - super cute;

Hope all had a great day!