Honored Contributor

Re: New Year, New Bird's Nest (January 2019)

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

We've had some colder weather (20's) and a few flurries the past day or so.  Still doesn't feel like a traditional winter to me.  

I went to the dentist on Tuesday for a cleaning.  I asked for a filling to be replaced and I am going to need a 3 piece fixed bridge replaced.  I wasn't having any kind of symptoms, just had a feeling to ask the hygienist to check the margins around both crowns (either end of the bridge).  There is a bitty soft spot (beginning decay) so it looks like we are catching it early.  The bridge has been in my mouth 21 years (we checked the records) so I may as well replace it while I have COBRA dental coverage.

The dentist (not mine, she was on vacation) told me I have a tonsil stone on my left tonsil.  She didn't seem too freaked out by it and neither am I, it's small.   It's funny, thanks to the stone I now know where my tonsils are.  I don't know why I thought they were further down your throat Woman Very Happy

I've been gargling and hope that will shake it loose.  It's always somethin'

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama  Yes, it is always something.  I'm glad you're getting your dental issues taken care of.  I've never heard of a tonsil stone.  Is it anything that could cause you further problems?  I had my tonsils removed when I was in Junior High.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack  I looked up tonsil stones and unfortunately watched a video about self removal - don't recommend that unless you have a really strong stomach.  I was told it's common to develop them if you have cold or infection which of course I do.  It's funny, a year or so ago the dentist (again not mine, one in the practice) said to me oh you had the surgery?  I said what surgery?  She said tonsil removal and I said no and then asked her if it was possible to be born without them. 

She looked further and said, wow your tonsils are small.

That's probably why I never knew where they were.  I've never had a problem with my tonsils.

Some people are chronic tonsil stone developers and it can get really bad - they have to have the tonsil removal surgery.

I remember my sister getting her tonsils out when she was 14 or 15 and from what I remember it hurt her beally bad back then.  I'm 56 and have no intention of getting my tonsils removed, rofl.

I guess if both tonsils get congested with stones it could be an issue for people.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama wrote:

@NickNack  I looked up tonsil stones and unfortunately watched a video about self removal - don't recommend that unless you have a really strong stomach.  I was told it's common to develop them if you have cold or infection which of course I do.  It's funny, a year or so ago the dentist (again not mine, one in the practice) said to me oh you had the surgery?  I said what surgery?  She said tonsil removal and I said no and then asked her if it was possible to be born without them. 

That's probably why I never knew where they were.  I've never had a problem with my tonsils.

Some people are chronic tonsil stone developers and it can get really bad - they have to have the tonsil removal surgery.

I remember my sister getting her tonsils out when she was 14 or 15 and from what I remember it hurt her beally bad back then.  I'm 56 and have no intention of getting my tonsils removed, rofl.

I guess if both tonsils get congested with stones it could be an issue for people.  

@Bird mama  I have never heard of tonsil stones, but assume they are growths on tonsils?   Mine removed when I was four, and remember a very sore throat afterward, for a while.

The day I got home, I ate saltine crackers and watermelon, don't remember anything else at that age, but do remember being in the hospital and my meal, lol.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Bird mama wrote:

@Bird mama  I have never heard to tonsil stones, but assume they are growths on tonsils?  I had mine removed when I was four, and remember a very sore throat afterward, for a while.

Mousie and Bernie,  I've never heard of tonsil stones either.   I had my tonsils removed the first time when I was between 4 and 5 years old.  They grew back and so did my adenoieds which meant I had to have them both removed when I was in 6th grade.   I got to eat ice cream a lot to soothe the pain.   That was the good part. Cat Very Happy

Honored Contributor

We are under a Winter storm watch/warning.  Snow expected tomorrow afternoon and going on into Sunday.   5 to 8 inches possible.   Heading out to get more mixed bird seed.  

The feeders, just filled,  are under constant "attack'' now.  Blue Jays, Cardinals, House Finches, Carolina Wren,  Hairy and Downy Woodpeckers, Juncos, Nuthatch, Chickadees, Titmice,, and various species of Sparrows.  May have missed some species.   I need to get going to the store, but it's so much fun to watch all the shenanigans going on at the feeders.   

Keep warm. Heart

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

@possummink

I also am so sorry to hear that you think your lovely Monie has passed away.  I’m sure the worst part is not knowing for sure.  She must have been beautiful.  You can be sure that she appreciated your love and care for all that time.  ❤️