Honored Contributor

Re: New Year, New Bird's Nest (January 2019)

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Image may contain: bird, outdoor and nature

Honored Contributor

Male Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)

Honored Contributor

Image may contain: plant, tree and outdoor

Honored Contributor

Image may contain: tree, outdoor, nature and water

Hi Birdiing Friends,   So far we have 12 inches and a bit over that with possibly more tonight and into Sunday.   I had to fill the feeders 3 times.  The birds had no way to reach the ground where there might be grass, weed seeds etc.  They sure ate like they were starving.  This probably sounds silly but I wonder how many peanuts or sunflower seeds a bird's 'tummy' or craw can hold.  I see the Blue Jays come time after time for the peanuts in the shell or they'll sit on the fly through feeder and eat shelled peanuts one after the other.   Just one of my random thoughts.  

Stay warm and safe and have a nice Sunday..Heart

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do any of you use cylinder feeders?  I added a cylinder feeder to my feeding station about a month ago.  I love it.  I use the woodpecker blend, and in addition to the nuthatches, chickadees, tufted titmice, Carolina wrens and others at the cylinder seed, I also have downy woodpeckers and bluebirds.  I wasn't expecting the bluebirds and love seeing them.  I saw another kind of woodpecker the other day that I hadn't seen before.  I think it was a hairy woodpecker.

The problem is that with the feeder that I have, when the seed gets low the clump falls to the ground.  I've never had a dog interested in the bird seed around the feeders until the clump fell a week ago.  My dog found it and started eating it.  I picked it up and put it outside the fence, but she's still interested in the other seed now.  I've been watching her and not letting her eat it.

I'm thinking about replacing that feeder with one with a tray under it.  The one I have has a perch that goes around it, and the one with the tray doesn't.  Do any of you use the one with the tray?  I'll post a picture of the one I have now and the one I'm considering.  Any thoughts on this?

Feeder I have now:

300x300-birdfeeders-seedcylinder.jpg

Feeder I'm considering:

300x300-birdfeeders-ecocleandinnerbell.jpg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack  I ground feed so I am no help.  One with a tray at the bottom might be a good idea.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise