Honored Contributor

Re: New Supreme Court Real Estate Case

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@781FloristThe August 27, 2021 sale for a condo at the same address for $80,000 that I mentioned was a real sale from a website that lists actual sales.  Some prices are estimated, but this one was not.  I would guess these were probably designed to be affordable condos, like I said, small 1 bedrooms, building kind of plain.

I read that the condo appraised for $93,000.  It sold for $40,000.  The lady owed around $15,000 of which $2300 was for taxes.  The rest was for interest and fees.

The lady wants $25,000 overcharge from the sale....sold for $40,000... owed $15,000.  $25,000 was not returned to her.  Her house was fully paid for, no mortgage.

The poor soul wants to buy a new mattress.  She Lives in a senior center.

This is not unusual. In many states, our government has been taking homes for back taxes, selling them and keeping 100% of the profits This mostly happens to senior citizens.

My brother paid the taxes for a senior friend of mine or she would have lost her home.  He placed a lien on the house to get his money back when the house was sold for her to enter a nursing center on Medicaid or he would have been out of his cash....about 5 years worth of taxes.

My husband and I paid the back taxes for his former sister in law, so she would not lose her home.  She finally sold the home and paid us back.  She had a sheriff sale note posted on her house.  My husband found out through his job and we offered to help her.

Many times, real estate taxes go up and social security is not enough to live and pay these taxes.

It is mostly due to high school taxes.  Even if your house is paid for, you might lose it to taxes....either in a sheriff sale or forced to sell on your own.

This should stops....I am glad the Supreme Court his going to look at this practice of the government stealing money from those who are down and out.

Seniors should not be lying school taxes on their homes forever.  Some areas reduce or do not bill school taxes after people are a certain age, but most do.

Esteemed Contributor

There is more to these stories than our initial gut reaction would suggest.  I personally don't feel my County employees need to take on a side hustle of being real estate brokers (and especially in areas of the city that are depressed and riddled with crime).

We need to understand that any costs assessed to the County in getting a property ready for sale, commissions charged  by brokers, closing costs  etc. will be passed on to taxpayers. In the last 10 years Hennepin County has  realized a "profit" from the seizure of delinquent properties in ONLY one year.

A simple Google search shows us the time, effort and money associated with the Tyler case. And nobody seems to be talking about the $11,000 in HOA fees Tyler owed. Subtract that from the $25,000 she feels she deserves and let's not forget what the County spent on selling the condo and the net result is probably a big fat nothing!

Respected Contributor

The Supreme Court ruled unanimously on 5/25/23 that Minneapolis/Hennepin County violated the rights of Ms. Tyler when it kept more money than it was due for unpaid property taxes and costs.

Respected Contributor

Am so glad this case went to the Supreme Court and they ruled in this woman's favor. It was not about the relatively small amount of money she owed....it was about the fact the state kept the $25k above the amount she owed for her taxes. This violated the Takings Clause in the fifth amendment. Very solid, well thought- out decision according to two of the attorneys in my family who I asked about it. I can't imagine the stress this had to be on someone 94 years old. I had no real idea about the Takings Clause.