Trusted Contributor

I have a question about something and would just like your feedback. My Huaband is going on 62 and may be in line for a new Job and after some Contract Jobs. He finally has a permanent Job he has had for a year making nothing near what he made at his last permanent Job back in 2013. Well my Husband never has negotiated his Salary and accepts what they offer. He is afraid if he ask for more he won't be offered the Position. What do you think?

Trusted Contributor

Re: New Job Perspective ?

[ Edited ]

A lot of older workers are being laid off, because employers can often hire younger workers for lower pay and may also find it less expensive to provide health benefits for younger workers.

Your husband is probably right to be cautious about asking for too much too soon.  Maybe he will be offered more as he settles into the job and demonstrates that he can do more for the employer than a less experienced employee -- or maybe not.  I know many mature workers who have been unemployed for long periods of time, who are working part-time jobs with no benefits, who are working outside of their fields, or who are making very low wages.  It's a tough market for senior workers.  I'd stay out of it and let your husband feel his way and use his judgment.  You think he deserves more......but the employer may not be willing to pay up.

Esteemed Contributor

I would leave it up to him to manage his own career.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for all your suggestions I plan on staying out of it.

Trusted Contributor

Several years ago, my husband got a new job, and negotiated a higher salary. A couple of years later, he got a promotion and negotiated a raise (granted, the company offered only a 1/2% raise with the promotion). Two years later he was let go and replaced with someone younger and cheaper. He's been out of work for 4 months. I think your husband is right to play it safe.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

It depends on the company and what level he is at; if he's a vp or director or something like that, he should negotiate salary.  But it gets trickier for jobs on lower levels like analyst, manager, supervisor; especially for someone who is older and has been out of work for an extended period of time.  I know a few people who negotiated themselves right out a job they really wanted.  Speaking as a manger, we know what the salary range is and regardless of how good the candidate is and how much I want to hire him or her; if it appears that they aren't happy with the salary, I'll go up 2 or 3% but I won't get into an haggling over salary.  If  they can't accept the salary I offer, it isn't the right job for them.  The same with raises.  In the real world, no one ever goes into the boss's office and asks for raise.  Employees are evaluated every year and there is scale for raises that is based on performance.  That's what they get, there's no negotiating involved.  I think your husband is smart.  If it's a fair salary and if he really wants the job; why risk losing out.  Take the job....and the money.   

Honored Contributor

Your husband's intuition is probably right.  I'd be happy to have a 'permanant' job.  Not so easy, as now-a-days, lots of part-time only jobs are available.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Re: New Job Perspective ?

[ Edited ]

It's probably best to play it safe, but isn't it sad how little power workers have these days?  If one complains, maybe they can hire a foreign worker brought over through the visa program or, in some fields, someone who is working illegally under the table.  This is what unsound economic policies and flooding of the labor market with cheap foreign labor (outsourcing, illegal labor, ever-increasing foreign workers given visas) have done to the country's working people.  Shame!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know of anyone who negotiates a salary without a job offer on the table, first.

Most employers throw out a salary range in the announcement saying the job pays $60-$65k. After a firm offer, then you negotiate. I believe an employer would only withdraw their offer if they couldn't come to terms with their prospective employee and not merely because they asked for a higher starting salary.

Respected Contributor
I agree with Goodstuff. If hubby was in his 40's, I'd say maybe investigate a new job offer. However, at 62 he's in a different classification. I am the same age, just took an early retirement as I no longer need to work with my pensions. IMO, stay put and don't ask for a raise as a newer employee. But are you employed? Perhaps he can think about an Early Retirement if he has vested Pension Plans?