Esteemed Contributor

A day before closing your attorney & real estate agent should have arranged for a walk through.I’ve never heard of not doing one. I would contact my real estate agent as well as attorney & tell them that this isn’t acceptable, period.They need to contact the sellers attorney & make this right ASAP!!

P.S. At my closing years ago my attorney asked me in front of everyone there if I was satisfied with the walk through.There was a small issue.My attorney put it in writing & had the seller sign it. The issue was taken care of that afternoon.

Esteemed Contributor

Why didn't you do a walk through with your realtor? Then you would have seen this and been able to address the issue at closing.

Call a cleaning company and let them take care of the mess.

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately there may be damage, hidden under that mess.

Whenever you buy property that was previously a rental, you can expect it not being in as good a shape as a home lovingly cared for and lived in by the owners.   However, it seems in this case, the seller did not hold up their end of the bargain to provide you with a clean home and everything in working order.

I would start with the realtor, take  pictures and get a lawyer yourself if need be.

Since you are dealing with professionals, usually a well worded letter from your lawyer may be all you need, if you have to go that far.

Honored Contributor

I also believe in a walk-through right before closing.  All kinds of things can happen in a month; besides committed buyers seem always to look more carefully at things than potential buyers.  The realtor definitely should have offered to schedule a walk-thru; just hope OP and her DH didn't brush it off because the house seemed fine a month before.  That comment about the good condition a month prior made me wonder about that.

The other thing I wonder -  were the people in the house renters who just gave up cleaning for a month?  Or did somebody become ill in that month?  Going from quite acceptably clean to disgusting in a month is just plain weird even though it just shouldn't be.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Home A Mess

[ Edited ]

@Ladylaughsalot wrote:

After nearly 7 months of searching, we finally found our “forever” home. DH and I are now in our early 60s, and decided we really need to downsize. We’re so excited to finally find a place that we hope will be perfect for us. It is all on one level, which is very important as we age. Our excitement was cut short when we went to closing and received the keys to our new home. We cannot believe the mess the prior owners left. I’m not talking just debris left laying around, but the toilets were disgusting; one of them even had urine all around the base of it on the floor.  The oven was filthy. It’s a self-cleaning oven for goodness sake, why couldn’t they take the time to turn it on? The microwave was also filthy. This house was not in this condition when we viewed it just a month ago.  We have moved many times over the years and have never, not once, encountered this before. We hate to be jerks, but our contract did read that the home would be left clean, and in move-in ready condition. Before contacting our realtor, I’m wondering if any of you have ever experienced this, and how you handled it?

@Ladylaughsalot ..... I am a Real Estate attorney.  My question is why didn't your Realtor arrange for a walk through the day prior to or the morning of the  closing?  If you had done a walk through you could have had these issues resolved  either before or at the closing table.  Perhaps you could have been given  credit for the cost of the clean-up.  Now that you have closed it is probably too late to do anything about it.  

Trusted Contributor

I thought homes had to be "broom swept" and that's it.

Esteemed Contributor

I have never had this happen. I would contract my realtor. Its a big enough job of moving, you shouldn't have to clean the house too.

I would never sell my home and leave it a mess for the new owners to clean up. That just screams no class.

Honored Contributor

@Ladylaughsalot....................if your contract states that it is to be left in clean and move in ready condition, contact the relator immediately.  He needs to get ahold of the seller and have them pay for a cleaning service.  If that does not happen get a lawyer.  In the meatime pay the cleaning people and collect from the seller.

Just a guess here but I bet your home was in that condition most of the time and only cleaned when it was on the market.  If I were you I would double check everything.

Good luck

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

There's something sketchy about this but taking it all at face value; she didn't do the walk through and she closed on the house.  It's done.  She has no recourse now.  The realtor could take pity and arrange for the house cleaning but that would be at the realtor's expense.  No one buys a car without driving it and examining it.....no one passes papers on a house without inspecting it from top to bottom.  People just don't do that.

Honored Contributor

@Ladylaughsalot.    I’m sorry this happened to you. The realtor should be contacted as other posters suggested. My friend’s a realtor and she always checks out a house after the folks move out and before the closing.