Honored Contributor

Re: New (CREEPY LOOKING) Emogies 😜

@dooBdoo wrote:

It's important to keep in mind that the way we see emojis on our device or on certain platforms may be different from the way others with other devices or platforms see them.   

The Unicode is standardized up to a point, but leaves the various developers with wiggle room to slightly modify them -- now and then it even seems to change the overall message conveyed.

This link shows the chart illustrating some of the differences:

https://unicode.org/emoji/charts/full-emoji-list.html

And this 2017 article also illustrates some of the variations (you can do an internet search to see more articles on this topic):

http://mentalfloss.com/article/516048/22-emojis-look-completely-different-different-phones

@dooBdoo

Yep, Apple just did an ISO update that gave me a bunch I didn't have before.

Thank you for always trying to help us with our pesky computers!

Love your new icon!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

I think it’s great that the new ones change skin color if you tap them!

But, be careful, you can’t change them but once, at least I can’t.

@Drythe I can change the skin tones many times (I actually do) on the emojis on my Samsung Galaxy phone.

Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

It's important to keep in mind that the way we see emojis on our device or on certain platforms may be different from the way others with other devices or platforms see them.   

The Unicode is standardized up to a point, but leaves the various developers with wiggle room to slightly modify them -- now and then it even seems to change the overall message conveyed.

And this 2017 article also illustrates some of the variations (you can do an internet search to see more articles on this topic):

http://mentalfloss.com/article/516048/22-emojis-look-completely-different-different-phones

Huge yes to this! I learned about the lack of standardization a few years ago and was glad I did. It helps me be more cautious in my choices. It can cause confusion when you send your friend a face you think might be sad and it comes across to them as angry. It would be helpful if you could tap the emoji and get a description to help you decipher the intent behind it.

Three different person frowning emojis from Apple, Google, and Samsung

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hopi wrote:

Q's are really creepy and everyone is okay with it

Man Embarassed.Robot MadCat HappyWoman LOL

Are we? I've never used most of them precisely because they're creepy. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge,  As an example, this is the way a screen shot (cropped and zoomed in to enlarge the images) of your OP appears on my iMac, iPads, and iPhone (it's the way the Unicode is interpreted on these Apple devices):

4A8B2861-6224-4726-A563-A7620D680A51.jpeg

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@hopi wrote:

Q's are really creepy and everyone is okay with it

Man Embarassed.Robot MadCat HappyWoman LOL

@hopi I asked for new ones along with the return of the ignore button until I ran out of typing energy. Woman Happy

You and many others, @Drythe.image.gif   I'm not sure anyone likes them -- I think the requests to have better emoticons were probably only surpassed by the requests to have the "ignore" feature restored!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@dooBdoo

Yep, Apple just did an ISO update that gave me a bunch I didn't have before.

Thank you for always trying to help us with our pesky computers!

Love your new icon!

You're welcome, @Drythe, and thank you for the kind words!❤️

Honored Contributor

@DJs mom wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

I think it’s great that the new ones change skin color if you tap them!

But, be careful, you can’t change them but once, at least I can’t.

@Drythe I can change the skin tones many times (I actually do) on the emojis on my Samsung Galaxy phone.

We can change the skin tones at any time on Apple devices, too, @DJs mom and @Drythe.

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

Huge yes to this! I learned about the lack of standardization a few years ago and was glad I did. It helps me be more cautious in my choices. It can cause confusion when you send your friend a face you think might be sad and it comes across to them as angry. It would be helpful if you could tap the emoji and get a description to help you decipher the intent behind it.

Three different person frowning emojis from Apple, Google, and Samsung

Amen, @Alison Wonderland!   Meanings can really be tangled if the emojis don't translate as intended.    There are ways to get a description but they're device-specific and not that easy to access -- I agree, if we could click/tap an emoji and get the description it would be much, much better.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for your input here @dooBdoo. 

I remember being shocked the first time I saw the emoji on my Samsung phone wasn't the same as the emoji I'd selected when I wrote a post on my Amazon tablet.

As to the ignore button, the #1 person I would've chosen to ignore since I signed on in 2016 has been banned. So sometimes those things resolve themselves.