Esteemed Contributor

Re: Never again

[ Edited ]

Years ago when I was in Paris, there was a very scruffy homeless man sitting next to an ATM machine with his dog. As an inveterate animal lover, I really felt bad for the dog. Instead of giving the man money, since I feared what he might do with it, I went to a nearby grocery and bought dog food and treats, which I gave to the man.

Respected Contributor

I'm so sorry this happened, because I know you tried to do a nice thing.

Respected Contributor

They have no money, home, job or food, but they always have a "sharpie" and cardboard. We have twin boys (early 20s) in town who lollygag all day at the grassy area next to the grocery stores and beg for money, every day. Then there is the couple with the wheel chair who take turns sitting in it holding the sign saying they cannot walk. This has gone on for years. They are no better than the people who call or email trying to scam money. I give to my local food bank and shelters and not to these cheats.

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

THANK YOU for helping this man.  Please don't stop because he touched you.  99.99999999% just want to say thank you in some way and often, it's a simple touch.  They have nothing else to offer but their own touch.  My work in a shelter has proven to me that these are people, just like you and me, and they love any slight contact with another human.

If you don't like giving cash, keep a few small gift cards with you to a place for ultra-cheap food and hand those out.  I always keep $5 gift cards to Casey's and McDonalds in my car. 

The poor and homeless are humans who are at the bottom of the food chain in our country.  They and more will fall even lower if things continue.  They need our help, not our disdain.

Your caring and compassionate post brought tears to my eyes.  Thank you!!   

Respected Contributor

@ScarletDove wrote:

Generosity is one thing, being used or scammed is another, especially when our safety is at risk......we all learn these lessons eventually if we indeed are generous, concerned and/or giving........do it with caution!  Glad you were in an open public area and acted quickly and you are safe!  There are creeps everywhere and I would never engage with a beggar in the area where I live in DC suburbs, way too precarious and/or dangerous!  I do not answer my door when ANYONE is going door-to-door (my home doors always locked; my car doors always locked)--there has been scamming, home invasion of elderly, mall stabbings and car jackings, and violent crime by MS-13!  I have had a taste of judicial system for a perpetrator in this county, and I no longer feel safe or trust law enforcement or the judicial system due to current county politics.  Many of my ancestors settled in the DC area, I have lived here my entire life and in my home 50 yrs and this area used to be safe enough to leave your doors open 24/7; those days are gone. 

I also live in the burbs of DC and I'm with you.  I moved farther south when the neighborhoods I grew up and the first home I bought when I went out on my own - are rough places to live now.  I moved away 15 years ago and recently relocated again.  I love the little area I am now but panhandlers thrive along route 3 down near Spotsylvania Towne Centre Mall and Central Park shopping areas.  Each corner at entrances/exits into each has someone there ALL the time.  On any given day you will encounter at least 5.   

A social worker friend worked at a homeless shelter as part of one of the rotations when in college and said what many here have already expressed.  There are the druggies, mentally ill and many are intellectually challenged and really can't work bc there is little work available for them.  She said most of the latter group are not necessarily bright enough to navigate through the "system" so if they don't have help from someone they don't know to sign up for programs that could help them. Other issue - many also don't have transportation to/from jobs or the $ to take public transportation. 

I don't risk stopping/giving to the panhandlers but I do drop off food/and or send money to the county food bank and churches and other organizations that help the homeless.