Honored Contributor

Re: Networking and Invitations for Coffee/Lunch

If I understand your dilemma correctly, this isn't about those things you get calls about or a card in the mail that  says if you listen to a company's pitch, you win a free TV or something like that.

You are actually at a networking event, and approached by individuals.

I'd bet that many times, they like what they see in you. They may see you as a potential customer, or even a potential fellow 'employee'. And I'm sure there are a few who just would enjoy your company.

If it were me, I'd be flattered, but want to sort out just which of the above they were fishing about. I'd either be direct and ask their intentions and state mine, or if I had no interest in buying from, working for/with, or obtaining new friends, I'd just decline politely. 

Honored Contributor

The older I get the easier the word NO is able to come out of my mouth.  I used to give all my time to everyone and was left for little for myself.  Now I do not go anywhere I do not want (including some family functions), answer my door, or my phone if I do not feel like it.  It finally dawned on me there are no police to check my "yes quota" to others or did I dust my coffee table this week!!  Very freeing feeling.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I's a fine line between cultivating contacts (even those selling something) and maintaining an arm's distance.  You don't want to insult anyone because they may change jobs one day (and they do) and be in a position to help you or not, you want to maintain that contact (and not burn bridges) however saying no or being what may be perceived as abrasive is also not a good option for your reputation.

I think what you are doing by telling them that you may have more time at the next event when the two of you can discuss it further (but avoiding them the next time) is very good.  Keeping the option open yet closing it at the same time if you can.  While I believe in being open and honest sometimes the "massaging" we have to do at these events are necessary......   

Unfortunately the dances we do are all part of business.....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

If someone invited me to a social event for coffee or lunch with no mention of any other purpose and then turned the event into a sales meeting for Amway or Mary Kay, I would be more than a little irritated.  

There's no doubt:  I would say, "Oh, I didn't realize this was going to be a sales event!  I'm sorry, but I'm not in the market for anything."  And then I would pick up my purse and coat and firmly walk out.