Trusted Contributor

Re: Neighbors helping themselves to your Flowers

@MacDUFF wrote:

Am I experiencing déjà vu?

@MacDUFF, yes, yes you are ... however this one is in a parallel universe ... one of civilized posters.

Regular Contributor

I consider the act to be stealing and very rude as they are walking onto your property. However if there is a situation for example you have a lilac bush of flowers and you don't keep it neatly trimmed and it extends beyond your property line to the general public then I feel its fair game. Its not nice that people do this but they do. The only way to really avoid this is to have wood fencing around your entire property the type that people can try to peek throug but won't be able to see anything.

Esteemed Contributor

I like to do photography and sometimes see pretty flowers on people’s property that I would like to photograph.  However, I would never walk into their yards without permission, let alone pick their flowers. I can’t imagine doing that.   

As others have suggested, maybe a cute sign in your garden would ward off potential flower takers. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BabyYoda-I don't think I would of let her off with a warning but a call to the Police would of been in order. She STOLE your entire line of Sunflowers and that is just not acceptable!  I am STUNNED at the audacity ...she is an adult and knows what stealing is..and if she had thought there was nothing wrong with it..she would not of lied to your DH.

Lying and stealing is wrong of all ages. Maybe the police wouldn't of charged her..but then again trespassing and petit larceny is a crime. Could even be considered possibly criminal mischief depending on the state statue. It was a destruction of your property in essence. Appalling.

To the OP ..I feel you are within your right to ask them not to pick the flowers along the easement. While it is "city/town property" per se..you are responsible for the upkeep therefore - the flowers belong to YOU..if you had to put your garbage bin along the easement - for pick-up it would still be considered yours. I would hate to have to put up signs to ruin the pretty outdoor ambiance of your gardens but maybe you can talk to hubby and something small and sedate off to the side would work..

Honored Contributor

I don't think people understand that when they pick your flowers it diminishes the plants ability to come back the next year. 

Honored Contributor

Our landscape company will absolutely not pull the weeds in the flower beds so the homeowners must do that ourself. So a friend made me a sign that says "weeds for sale. Pick your own." I put it on the side of the house and everyone in our plan (where the weed issue is very controversal) loves it. However, so far I've not had anyone who wanted to buy any weeds.

Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD, I think you handled it nicely.  While I have never had anyone steal flowers, I did have something stolen from our life sized nativity this Christmas.  Baby Jesus, a small rabbit and a small deer.  They are all concrete pieces.  I think I know who did it.  Cameras next year!!!

It is Canada's 150 birthday this July.  I have planted alot of Canada 150 tulips bulbs (red and white).  Hope they come up ok!  

Still 2' of snow here so won't be gardening for awhile.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Our landscape company will absolutely not pull the weeds in the flower beds so the homeowners must do that ourself. So a friend made me a sign that says "weeds for sale. Pick your own." I put it on the side of the house and everyone in our plan (where the weed issue is very controversal) loves it. However, so far I've not had anyone who wanted to buy any weeds.

Just for an additional laugh, ask your friend to line through "for sale" and write in "free".

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

I would certainly respond positively to a sign that said "Please leave these flowers here  for EVERYONE to enjoy".

Valued Contributor

I have a flower bed along a highly trafficked public walk and while passersby picking flowers is rare, the instances I've witnessed have all involved mothers with young children. Typically: the mother lets the child pick flowers, the mother photographs child picking flowers for Facebook page, the mother blames the child for the flower picking when I stroll outside. Woman Frustrated

A rare variety of lupine used to grow along one of the rock borders. One year I noticed that someone had climbed the rock wall and harvested the seeds after the flowers went to seed. I had been waiting to do this myself which is why I was very annoyed.