Esteemed Contributor

Re: Neighbors helping themselves to your Flowers

Am I experiencing déjà vu?

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Respected Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD  IMO, it doesn't make a bit of difference to me who owns the property in question (you or the city).  When I see beautiful flowers, I assume they were put there for all to enjoy.  I would therefore consider it very selfish of me to remove them for my own enjoyment, or to otherwise destroy or disturb them.  I would never consider touching anyone else's flowers except to smell them!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

No I have never had anyone pilfer flowers without asking.  We do have a lovely magnolia and spectacular hydrangeas and I have been ASKED if it was okay to snip some.  I said, of course, please help yourself.  It was understood that they were not going to take bunches and bunches.  I think your neighbors are quite bold - sorry that that has been your experience.

Honored Contributor

Where the heck do you live...lol   I remember occasionally little girls might pick flowers from someone's yard but we'd speak with their parents and that took care of that.  Certainly adults in former town and I this town would never do such a thing.  It's just not done.  I'm in a condo complex now and they do an amazing job with landscaping.  Lots of flowers everywhere....no one picks them.  People just don't do that. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes I would be upset and tempted to put up a little permanent wooden sign somewhere amongst the flowers in a prominent place....

"Bouquets $9.95

(Slip payment into Box)

Privately Owned

Planting, mulch,

water, fertilizer,

weeding and the love

necessary to grow these

were not free.... Thanks!"

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

this is rude of the people to help themselves to other peoples flowers. signs may help but i doubt it will stop them. putting up a fence may be one of the only things to stop these free fingers from picking. the fence will have to have a locked gate too.

Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD I would definitely be upset and would probably post a cute little sign, though it won't stop everyone. I finally had to post a sign about dog poo. There is a law here and you can be fined, but there are also the walkers that go out at night and don't pick up after their dogs because it's dark. Sneaky bugs me more than the act itself, I'm a thinkin'.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Super Contributor

Unfortunately in todays world a lot of people think they can just help themselves to whatever they want.  Parenting has to be partially blamed, because if they taught their kids right from wrong, it shouldn't happen.  Both parents working can be part of the problem as well.  BUT before some of you decide to take this as a personal insult, its not!  I don't mean everyone, but large numbers of kids 'raise themselves' nowadays. 

Respected Contributor

The nerve of some people!  Why don't they just invite themselves into your house, open the fridge and help themselves to something to drink.  I would put up a sign to "enjoy, but don't pick the flowers.....AND, we have cameras" or something to that effect.  The only way you will get this to stop is to have people think that they could be being filmed while they are STEALING.  Maybe you should plant come cactus next time and leave the flowers for the back yard.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

Kids today have no concept of respect for other people's property because they were not taught it by their parents.  we once lived in a house that had a driveway that sloped downhill.  I came home one day to find the little boy across the street riding his skateboard down our driveway.  he was about 7 or 8.  I got out of the car and told him that he was not allowed to ride his skateboard in our driveway.  he looked at me, said nothing, picked up his skateboard and went home.   A week later I came home and there he was again.  THe minute he saw me he took,off for home.  I went across the street, rang the bell and when his mother answered the door I asked her to please not allow him to,use our driveway for his skateboarding activities.  SHe used the "I don't understand English" routine.  Want  to bet that she would have understood English enough to sue us if the kid had been injured while using our.property without our permission.