Honored Contributor

Neighbors helping themselves to your Flowers

We/DH plants lots of bulbs almost every year in our easement, front yard, back yard.  Depending on what he plants and when they bloom, the yard looks great for a long time.

When my poodle Wallace and I walk especially this time of year, I love to see everything making a comeback in others' yards.  I don't allow my dog to pee or poop in others' gardens as I HATE when I see dog walkers allowing their pets to do that in my yard.  I tell Wally it's okay to stop and smell them (and he does!) he's not permitted to do his business there.

Sometimes I catch passersby helping themselves to picking our flowers.  While I can appreciate them enjoying them enough to pick for a bouquet, I also don't like them doing this.  I'm wondering your take on such a thing.  Do you get aggrivated by this?  If you see them helping themselves do you say something to them?

A few years ago there were two young ladies with a really nice bouquet in their hands (each of them), then I watched them go up and down our easement adding to what they obviously took from other gardens, and adding from our yard too.  Since I caught them in the act, yes I did politely say something to them.

This morning I caught a (college aged) girl who lives across the street from us helping herself to our daffodils.  We have a bunch of different varieties out front, I have little doubt that she would have stopped at the three  she already picked.  Yes, I opened my front door and said excuse me and shook my head to please not do that.  I startled her needless to say.  She said she was sorry a couple of times then offered them back to me.  I softly said that while folks don't like others taking their flowers, I also told her to take them home, put them in water and enjoy them (since she already had them).

Wonder what you take is on this.  Do you have nice gardens where walkers help themselves to what you planted?  Do you say anythning to them to please not do that?  Do I act like a not so nice person myself in saying something to them?

Respected Contributor

Re: Neighbors helping themselves to your Flowers

[ Edited ]

No one in our neighborhood would do that, at least not in my yard.  We have flowers every year and work all day and I've never seen anything missing.  If I did see someone doing that, I would be shocked and say something.  First, you should not be on another's property if you weren't invited.  Taking another person's flowers from their garden is stealing your property.

Put up a sign "do not pick the flowers."

Respected Contributor

Well, I guess it's the highest form of flattery - they love your garden!  I think you are handling it beautifully - if you get nasty with them you're liable to wake up with an empty front yard.  People can be vengeful these days.

Esteemed Contributor

Idea:   Probably won't work with people so brass - but - a few small signs sprinkled around the area - - LOOK - BUT DON'T TOUCH - Thank you

(I've never heard of such a thing before - perhaps a child would do it - not knowing better - but not near adults)

Honored Contributor

All I got to say is that you have some trifling neighbors.  As long as you don't say anything or put up a sign like another poster mentioned, your trifling neighbors will keep on STEALING while traspassing on YOUR property.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal  I totally agree with you.  And (I say) unfortunately we are very much surrounded by college students as the 'old' folks die out in our area, 40-50 yr olds are buying up the century old homes and turning into 'slum lords' renting them to college kids.  Most of these kids don't care let alone appreciate where they are living nor their surroundings.

You're right. I am very mindful of what you speak so I am very soft spoken when I ask them to please not pick them, I'll also let them know that folks don't really appreciate their gardens being picked.  I always as I did with this young lady to please take them home and enjoy them but please don't do it again.

Trusted Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD I would never do that. (pick your flowers)  Maybe is my eco centered culture but when I spot a beautiful array of flowers growing I take it all in and hope that all others would love to enjoy just as much as I did ...by leaving them be where they are. I behold the beauty and hard labors of others with my eyes...but not my hands. Picking for my own enjoyment only would seem selfish to me. You handled it beautifully by the way. Is a lesson learned for the picker as well. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac  Boy I hope not!  I do occasionly see a sign posted to this same affect in other yards. FUnny you should mention this, just this morning on our walk we passed a yard just to the north of us with a sign on a couple of shrubs in t he front yard saying please don't let your dogs pee on them plants - quote "while you enojy them, so do we!"

I don't like to HAVE to post such signs. DH would never allow this to be done.  But isn't is sad that there are a few bad apples in the 'hood who think it's a-okay to help themselves to their own bouquet for free.

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure what you mean by easement; if it's not your property, you haven't a right to admonish those taking the flowers. If however this easement belongs to you then put up a "please don't pick the flowers" sign which can be purchased. 

Honored Contributor

I have never run into this but yes I would be upset.  I think the previous suggestion of putting a gentle sign not to pick is a good idea.