Honored Contributor

Re: Neighbors adult children

@Desertdi wrote:

I have not SEEN my next-door neighbor in over 4 years.    I know she's in there.........she puts the garbage can out..................

I have a neighbor like that too.  He goes to work every day, but she stays home and is seldom seen.  Stays inside with shades drawn and front door closed.  On weekends, I don't see them either.  I'm often outside gardening but rarely see them out.  It's very strange.

Esteemed Contributor

Now we're complaining about neighbors that are too quiet?

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs

When my wife and I decided to move from our townhome we wanted a home in a more rural type setting. Since my sister was our agent and she lives in such an area, she found several homes in those types of areas.

We looked at several, but it took only a couple minutes to know the one we wanted as soon as we saw it. Big true ranch home/huge basement/lots of land/few other homes even close, and still only minutes to get to any part of our city. Best of all, it is secluded and few even know homes exist here.

Our home became "our heaven", and that was before we had our 4 season patio room built where we can watch many animals of Mother Nature easily in every season of the year. I wish you could enjoy the same.

As for suggestions on what you can or should do? I think I you know me well enough that I will leave them unsaid.

Hope you are having a good weekend other than this issue,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

Move (if one can afford too), and a differrent set of neighbor problems or (even worse problems), may occur. It's a gamble.

^this

I've thought a lot about moving to get away from my nosy, whiny, intrusive, negative neighbors. A LOT. But there's no guarantee that I wouldn't end up with the same, or worse, in a new place. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs,   My area is quiet but I live in an apt. with seniors; however, we are located next to another regular apt. complex but no problems.  Sometimes the kids play in the fire lane but not to all hours of the night so I can't complain.  I can feel your pain.  Have you ever thought of moving perhaps in a condo with a deck and more of an adult community?  It may give you peace of mind.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs - Yes, 6:30 am on a weekend might be a bit early, however, if you move in the future, don't move near a golf course. They start working on the course at 5:00 am in the summer, lol.

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

I have not SEEN my next-door neighbor in over 4 years.    I know she's in there.........she puts the garbage can out..................

I have a neighbor like that too.  He goes to work every day, but she stays home and is seldom seen.  Stays inside with shades drawn and front door closed.  On weekends, I don't see them either.  I'm often outside gardening but rarely see them out.  It's very strange.

@ValuSkr  - did you ever stop to think that maybe she's unable to go out? Either a physical illness or an emotional illness like agoraphobia? Or maybe she just likes to keep to herself? If you're concerned about her, why not ask her husband about her? Maybe there's something you can do for her?

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@lOVETOSHOP wrote:

Wow...I guess my neighbors seem pretty nice after reading some of these posts.  We do have barking dogs, but that's about it!

I remember when my grandmother was alive, I pitied anyone who had to be her neighbor.  She would FIND things to be annoyed about!  One neighbor's porch lights across the street from her house were "too bright" and that annoyed her.  Another neighbor parked their huge drive-in camper in their driveway and that annoyed her...she had to "look at that thing" every day!  Then a neighbor who lived right next door to her put up a storage shed...she hated the color of it and it annoyed her that they picked such an ugly color! 

My dear grandma was one of those who complained for the sake of having something to complain about!  

@lOVETOSHOP

Your grandmother sounds like some posters here.

"I'm gonna take them to small claims court and sue 'em if they don't do what I want them to do!"

*lol*

Yes, that was my thought too.

I think people need to keep themselves busy in productive ways so they won't have time to be on the lookout for things to complain about.  It's far better to be briefly and mildly irritated by something rather than inflating it to epic proportions.  

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Some of us care about living in a neighborhood that is attractive. We don't care to see unattractive RVs, sheds, blinding lights...which is the reason HOAs came about. I'm fortunate to live in a neighborhood where the view from my windows is pleasing because my neighbors care; we don't need an HOA.

I've moved many times, but I have never lived in a neighborhood that needed an HOA. 

Junked cars, huge RV's, neighbors who don't maintain their homes, and things like that would most definitely bother me.  I think that's a different issue, though, than neighbors sitting in front of their own homes, having family visit, going in and out their own door, etc.

Garbage, junk, abandoned vehicles, and homes in disrepair would be huge issues for me.  Neighbors going about their normal lives would not.

Esteemed Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

I feel your pain... First there are leash laws in every state. That dog should not be loose. There are neighbors and there are neighbors and your neighbors sound thoughtless. I would say something about the dog running loose because it has happened more then once .. and about the neighbor that wakes you up at six in the morning on a weekend when you would like to sleep in. I would not just blow this thing up, I would find out what the noise ordinances is in your state and then talk to these people Good luck O/P. [You also have a right to enjoy your home and your yard]

I agree re the dog being off-leash.  I would speak to the neighbors about that, and then take it further if need be.

The 6:30 am (or 6 am, whichever it was!) issue seemed to be a one-time thing, so I wouldn't say anything about that.

I really think that when it comes to neighbors, it's best to choose our battles.  Making a stink about a car door beeping early ONE Sunday morning would come across as petty. Which, IMO, it actually is.  Living near other people means we're going to hear noise from them, and they will hear noise from us.  Getting upset about every little thing can easily be counter-productive.