Esteemed Contributor

Re: Neighbors adult children

@missy1 wrote:

Move (if one can afford too), and a different set of neighbor problems or (even worse problems), may occur. It's a gamble.

That's right!  I recently moved, and one of the unknowns, one of the things you can't ever really be sure of until you move in, is what your new neighbors will be like.  Believe me, I held my breath!

Fortunately, my neighbors are great.  They were unbelievably helpful when they saw me carrying large items in, taking heavy garbage bags out, etc.  Nice and friendly without being overly so, just really a great group.

But you're absolutely correct - As with many things in life, it's a gamble.

Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Now we're complaining about neighbors that are too quiet?

Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

I have not SEEN my next-door neighbor in over 4 years.    I know she's in there.........she puts the garbage can out..................

I have a neighbor like that too.  He goes to work every day, but she stays home and is seldom seen.  Stays inside with shades drawn and front door closed.  On weekends, I don't see them either.  I'm often outside gardening but rarely see them out.  It's very strange.

To the posters who said "Now we're complaining about neighbors who are too quiet?"

I don't see either @ValuSkr or @Desertdi as "complaining", but merely commenting on how reclusive those particular neighbors are.

Muddling through...
Esteemed Contributor

It is a darn shame in this day and age that people's rights are being violated and others tell them to let it go, and ignore it.  People who are paying a mortgage or rent, property taxes, upkeep to property, shouldn't have to ignore the disrespect and ignorance of others for fear those people will retaliate against them.  There are rules about noise and people need to abide by them. 

The police department will tell anyone who asks what the rules are about noise, what time you cannot make it in the morning and at what time you cannot make noise at night.  It just is not right to have your life disturbed and impeded upon by ignorant people.  I am sure some of the offenders may not even realize they are disturbing others and would stop if nicely asked to. You don't go in attack mode when approaching those disturbing you, you calmly tell them what the problem is and ask, not tell, if they would please not do it anymore.  People may be surprised by the cooperation they get and if not than the police should be notified.  If you don't protect your rights the law will.  

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The problem with viewing this as a matter of asserting one's 'rights' is that 'rights' exist on both sides of any street... Unless a neighbor is violating an ordinance or law, their behavior might be beyond annoying, but it's not likely they can be 'forced' to change their behavior... I dislike noise as much as anybody and more than most, but unless or until I can remove myself from the sources, I realize that, within reason, I'll have to tolerate certain things. No matter how stupid or inconsiderate people can clearly be, not everyone dances to the same tune... One of my pet peeves is out of control car alarms that go off at the drop of a hat for no reason and then there are the owners of those vehicles who seem to take forever to realize it and turn them off... One day, I hope to move out into the country. There'll be a downside to that too, but noise and bothersome neighbors probably won't be as much of a factor. Here's hoping...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

The problem with viewing this as a matter of asserting one's 'rights' is that 'rights' exist on both sides of any street... Unless a neighbor is violating an ordinance or law, their behavior might be beyond annoying, but it's not likely they can be 'forced' to change their behavior... I dislike noise as much as anybody and more than most, but unless or until I can remove myself from the sources, I realize that, within reason, I'll have to tolerate certain things. No matter how stupid or inconsiderate people can clearly be, not everyone dances to the same tune... One of my pet peeves is out of control car alarms that go off at the drop of a hat for no reason and then there are the owners of those vehicles who seem to take forever to realize it and turn them off... One day, I hope to move out into the country. There'll be a downside to that too, but noise and bothersome neighbors probably won't be as much of a factor. Here's hoping...

It has been my experience that the noise and bothersome neighbors isn't nearly as much of a factor, if at all.  It has been fantastic ever since we decided to move out of a traditional neighborhood over 10 years ago.  It is one of the best decisions we made and we don't regret it one bit. We only wish we would have done it sooner! Now we are moving to even more acreage and we will be even further away from neighbors. That is how much we love it, lol! Smiley Happy 

Esteemed Contributor

Here's the problem with "moving out in to the country".

Not everybody who wants to do it, can do it.

There is only so much earth/land, and because everybody wants to "move out in to the country" to get away from everybody else, there is only so much "acerage" to go around, and we are incroaching on what was once wildlands, and nature/animals, get shut out.

This is one main reason why so many people are having run-ins with wild animals, it's because we are taking over what was once their territory.

All because we want to "go live in the country" to get away from everybody else.

Respected Contributor

In reading this thread, I think back to the time my grandparents came to this country. It was not at all uncommon to have at least 2 families living in one small apartment. Imagine the noise there with all those people cramped into a small building. The concept of someone making too much noise was infringing upon their rights would be ludicrous. We have become self absorbed and intolerant. What is too much noise for some is normal to another. There are some who might see other's need for quiet all the time to be rather creepy. Who is right or wrong? I guess it depends on your perspective.

As for those who have neighbors they consider too quiet or never see.......If my neighbors don't see me or my car move for a few days, they ring my bell to see if I'm ok. It's called being neighborly and looking out for others. I am not friends with all my neighbors but we are friendly and watch out for each other. Do I approve of everyone's lifestyle? Not my business. We live in this world with others and cannot isolate ourselves and look down on everyone who doesn't fit into the boxes we think they should be in.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

In reading this thread, I think back to the time my grandparents came to this country. It was not at all uncommon to have at least 2 families living in one small apartment. Imagine the noise there with all those people cramped into a small building. The concept of someone making too much noise was infringing upon their rights would be ludicrous. We have become self absorbed and intolerant. What is too much noise for some is normal to another. There are some who might see other's need for quiet all the time to be rather creepy. Who is right or wrong? I guess it depends on your perspective.

As for those who have neighbors they consider too quiet or never see.......If my neighbors don't see me or my car move for a few days, they ring my bell to see if I'm ok. It's called being neighborly and looking out for others. I am not friends with all my neighbors but we are friendly and watch out for each other. Do I approve of everyone's lifestyle? Not my business. We live in this world with others and cannot isolate ourselves and look down on everyone who doesn't fit into the boxes we think they should be in.

@reiki604

I could not agree with you more.

It's like everybody thinks that the world should revolve around them.

Can we say "entitlement"?

And it is not reserved just for the young.

There are a lot of older people who wear that crown proudly.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Certainly there are plenty of entitled people these days,from all walks. I consider myself to be a pretty reasonable person with very little sense of entitlement.I do believe in common courtesy and decency and consideration.I think neighbors should just consider what reasonable enjoyment of your own property is, and perhaps how best to afford that to others while having your own.

My newer neighbors since last October were very reasonable  when trying to buy some lawn equipment at a great deal from us. I was very accommodating to them, and frankly his very pushy mil who pounded on our door one day to introduce herself and obviously look for stuff for them, and a babysitter.

For the past couple of months they have been using an extremely loud wood chipper EVERY weekend. And burning brush in very big bonfires. They're already in the vortex of property obsession here...fine except for the fact that we can't sit on our porch or deck at all. I think it's excessive, literally all afternoon until dark. He decided he couldn't push our old mower so he bought a huge loud riding mower.Doesn't just cut the grass, he goes over and over on our side holding his 2 year old to give him rides. For hours. 

Again not my business but not safe. They also have two and one year old feet away from said woodchipper and bonfires. Not kidding.

Our lawn is done twice a month by a service, weekdays when these neighbors are not home. Our neighborhood is quiet, mostly older longtime residents. Previous owners were 20 somethings with a young baby, SO quiet. They kept the property very nice without all the noise. Very kind and considerate.

Think neighbors using a tree service every weekend and what that would sound like. Sometimes they do it after work too. Its crazy loud inside with AC on and all windows closed. Yes they have the right, but I don't think I'd be out of line to ask them when the endpoint is.Two months and I've had more than enough. 

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"