Honored Contributor

Re: Neighbors adult children

@HappyDaze wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 Two points I'd consider... first, there are an awful lot of people who thrive in an urban or suburban environment, so I'm not sure what the actual demand might be for country living... The other factor is that, as noted, not everyone who might want to move to the country is able to do so... and we should probably be thankful for that... I have no idea if I'll ever be able to move to the country or if I'd actually like it once I got there... but I'd sure like to find out...

Smiley Wink

I think there are probably at least a handful of folks with romanticized notions of what country living actually means and who would opt out pretty quickly once they saw the reality... As for me, should I ever land in the country, I know that 'acreage' is not in the cards... I simply couldn't afford it...

@stevieb based on my experience with neighbors out here in the country, there is more than a handful! We get alot of "city folk" that try to play country and it ain't pretty, lol. They usually move within a year or two. And based on my conversations with many co-workers and friends, most do have some romantic notion of country living. It is NOT for eveyone. I personally thrive on it though. Smiley Happy

@HappyDaze I've known a few who got caught up in the trappings of country living but didn't have a clue what it really meant... They learned fast. Some caught on and loved it, while others moved back to the 'burbs'...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

I would speak to them about this ongoing situation and ask that they confine it to Saturdays. 

I'm not sure what you think should be confined to Saturdays.  Sitting in front of their own house?  Having family visit?  Going in and out their own front door?  

I see very little cause to complain.  A car door beeping early one morning seems to be the biggest transgression, and apparently only happened one time.  

I would talk to the family with the unleashed dog, but that would be all.  If a neighbor asked me to confine the other activities to Saturdays, I would think they were joking.

Sorry, I should have quoted the post to which I was responding. It was the one whose new neighbor had huge bonfires, a woodchipper, and was continually cutting grass using a loud riding lawnmower. This had been going on every weekend and sometimes weekday evenings.

Well, that makes sense!  I assumed you were referring to the OP.  Thanks for clarifying.  :-)

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@lOVETOSHOP wrote:

Wow...I guess my neighbors seem pretty nice after reading some of these posts.  We do have barking dogs, but that's about it!

I remember when my grandmother was alive, I pitied anyone who had to be her neighbor.  She would FIND things to be annoyed about!  One neighbor's porch lights across the street from her house were "too bright" and that annoyed her.  Another neighbor parked their huge drive-in camper in their driveway and that annoyed her...she had to "look at that thing" every day!  Then a neighbor who lived right next door to her put up a storage shed...she hated the color of it and it annoyed her that they picked such an ugly color! 

My dear grandma was one of those who complained for the sake of having something to complain about!  

@lOVETOSHOP

Your grandmother sounds like some posters here.

"I'm gonna take them to small claims court and sue 'em if they don't do what I want them to do!"

*lol*

About a month ago I saw a Judge Judy case where a man took his neighbor to court because he didn't like the color stain on the other side of a shared fence! I believe anything these days @Plaid Pants2, whiners and complainers!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@lOVETOSHOP wrote:

Wow...I guess my neighbors seem pretty nice after reading some of these posts.  We do have barking dogs, but that's about it!

I remember when my grandmother was alive, I pitied anyone who had to be her neighbor.  She would FIND things to be annoyed about!  One neighbor's porch lights across the street from her house were "too bright" and that annoyed her.  Another neighbor parked their huge drive-in camper in their driveway and that annoyed her...she had to "look at that thing" every day!  Then a neighbor who lived right next door to her put up a storage shed...she hated the color of it and it annoyed her that they picked such an ugly color! 

My dear grandma was one of those who complained for the sake of having something to complain about!  

@lOVETOSHOP

Your grandmother sounds like some posters here.

"I'm gonna take them to small claims court and sue 'em if they don't do what I want them to do!"

*lol*

About a month ago I saw a Judge Judy case where a man took his neighbor to court because he didn't like the color stain on the other side of a shared fence! I believe anything these days @Plaid Pants2, whiners and complainers!

I saw that too.  It seems to be the habit of many people to judge and decree that what they want is what should be done, and that their way is the only way.

Co-existing (not just as neighbors, but overall) means choosing battles and realizing that we all likely make choices that others wouldn't make.  Life's too short to be so focused on negativity.  As a dear friend said to me the other day, "We should be kind enough to give each other the benefit of the doubt".