Respected Contributor

Re: Negatve Things a Teacher Said to You in School?

You know, sometimes these teachers are themselves affected by what they do.

In ninth grade a teacher permanently threw me out of class for objecting to how he handled a daily classroom task. He was a first year teacher. I had spoken to him privately about it after school.

After I graduated from college I returned to my high school to sub for a while. I was eating lunch in the teacher's area and there he was. He immediately came over to me and apologized for what he had done eight years before.

My college freshman English professor insulted and tortured me for two semesters. I never forgot him. A few years ago I Googled his name and learned that he had career changed, moved to London and had become quite famous in his new field. In an interview about 20 years ago he was asked why he left college teaching. He said he was an unforgivably bad teacher and then described everything he had done to me. I'm guessing he did this to other students as well, but there it was in print.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was in 7th grade. And was taking a history test. The teacher came over to me and said I was cheating. Not sure why she thought I was cheating. The only thing I could think of was that she thought I wrote answers on my hand.

I showed her my hands, with no writing on them. Showed her my paper. The only paper on my desk was the test paper.  I stood up no "cheat sheet" was found.  Didn't know what else to do.

She became more and more insistent that I was cheating. But because she couldn't find any proof, she became even louder and more insistent. Guess since she was making quite a scene, she wanted to be right.

Still have no idea why she thought I was cheating. But it was quite a show.

Respected Contributor

I skipped 3 grades and turned 10 in the fall when I landed in 8th grade. The teachers didn't say negative things to me. The kids did.

Respected Contributor

How much time do you have?  I was sentenced to 8 years of Parochial school before my escape to the public domain.  Woman LOL

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

@september wrote:

"You are just like your brother", who was four years older than me and a bit of a trouble maker back then.  I was not!

But in hindsight, that was quite a compliment.  He is a very good person. 

@september 

All 3 of my older sisters preceded me in out catholic grade school. The 1st strike against was that we were from the Public Housing Projects. 

They knew my name and followed suit similar to your brother. Of my sisters, 2 were the opposite, of the me at the present. Only 1 of my sisters was/is a pot stirrer. She was also a tomboy.

I was an average student never causing any trouble, but the nuns seem to look for things, probably from my 1 sister, to pick on me. 

All for my sisters told which nuns were the worst. Most taught the same grade class for decades it seemed. From my sisters experiences, the nuns they told me about, were the same for me as with them.

I have only 1 sister left, and she is pretty much like me. She doesn't mince words when she has something to say, and knows her topics very well when debating an issue.

Can't say I have never been in trouble, but nothing nothing I consider serious or dangerous. Growing up with 3 older sisters in 1 bathroom apartments and homes was bad enough, and following them through that same school?

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

The worst thing I remember while in grade school was having to stand in the corner for talking during class.  I took my studies seriously and got high marks but I did have a reputation among the nuns for being too social. During a spelling test one day Sr. Boniface gave us the word "loquacious". She would always use the words in a sentence and said "LuvSoCal is quite loquacious". My classmates and I all laughed.

I don't recall any hurtful comments and feel bad for those of you who were ridiculed by teachers.

Now, the boys in my class were a different story. They teased me mercilessly from grades 1-8 for being so

skinny. I remember feeling very self concious because

of it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

1960s. I went to private school. When I was in 7th grade, there was a big procession for a religious feast day.  They wanted it to go short to tallest. I was very short and took my place in front of the class as the shortest. The teacher pulled me out of the 7th grade group and put me with 3rd graders because of my height. I was mortified and told my dad that evening. The next morning, the teacher put me back with my class. I didn't know for 20 years that Dad had talked to the teacher.

Respected Contributor

I adored my kindergarten teacher.  She never said anything negative to me but she treated me very poorly.  I was the youngest and smallest in the class.  I could not turn the door handle to open the classroom or bathroom door.  She refused to help me open the door so I would wait for someone else to approach the door and open it and I would enter with them.  One day I had to go to the bathroom really bad but no one else was going into the bathroom so I ended up peeing my pants.  My teacher was furious. 

Honored Contributor

I never had a teacher downgrade me but instead constantly my own mother sure did. She seemed to get great satisfaction of insulting me, saying mean nasty things no mother should say to her children let alone her namesake daughter. If it's not obvious, she just plain did not like me, nary a word of encouragement. It all started when she had to spend her 30th birthday giving birth to me a mere two days before her birthday. I'm 100% sure it was my Dad's idea to name me after her. It was all downhill from there.

So no, no teachers just my mother. She did enough to cover teachers' remarks through all 12 years.

Honored Contributor

My parents feared teachers and they could do nothing wrong. I was not at all like that and NEVER allowed any teacher say bad things to my boys.

These messages make me sad and VERY angry. I think that is one of the reasons I have no respect for teachers. And give me a large break-educators?

Jeanne Bice would champion teachers and say they did not make much money. Hah!!

Sorry, I getting down from my soap box.