Valued Contributor

Re: Negatve Things a Teacher Said to You in School?

@Venezia @I am so glad that your counselor validated your family and affirmed what you already knew. We were both fortunate to be raised by honorable people who did their best by us. As a child I was hurt by that nun’s words but I never, ever believed she was right.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is almost impossible to forget the discouraging things or heartless words a teacher says or does to you...after having a supervisor ,of all people, put sad faces on my presentation book when I didn't memorize something verbatim, I vowed when I became a teacher I would never put a sad face on any of my students papers. I used a happy face or a NQ or NY on student papers....it meant not quite or not yet....meaning they needed to look over their work and either complete or self correct before turning it in again. I had a high school counselor who laughed when I told her I was applying for a scholarship at a prestigious university in our state. She said I would never get it and I shouldn't waste my time.I felt so validated when on senior day, she had to announce my name and present me with the paper that said I was awarded the scholarship. Poetic justice indeed. My teachers were great except for its grade. That women hated children.  Didn't say much, but she was a shaker. She would grab your shoulders and shake you. I was so terrified she would do that to me I threw up every morning before going to school. She was the only teacher so no getting moved to another class. 
Amazing the things we heard or saw back then that would not be allowed today.

Esteemed Contributor

As a junior in high school, my gym teacher told me I had "big" thighs.  I was 5'3" and 110 lbs.  I had never given my weight a thought as I felt fine about myself.  

Her comment destroyed my self image.  I immediately started to diet.  Dropped down to 95 lbs. and dealt with a newfound eating disorder from then until I was about 45.  

I can't imagine why I put so much stock into what she said but, for whatever reason, she had a profound effect upon me.  

Honored Contributor

"You are just like your brother", who was four years older than me and a bit of a trouble maker back then.  I was not!

But in hindsight, that was quite a compliment.  He is a very good person. 

Trusted Contributor

@Gorgf  My kindergarten teacher told my Mom that I was never going to amount to anything because I was left handed.  I did amount to something I am a retired RN with a wonderful loving family and of course our horses.

Respected Contributor

When I was overweight and very sensitive about it, the nun teaching my 6th grade class said, in front of everyone, "Why don't you lose some weight?" I was so humiliated I couldn't speak. 

Respected Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

What a negative topic. Stirring this kind of thing up doesn't do anyone any good. 

Then why are you adding to it?

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

As a junior in high school, my gym teacher told me I had "big" thighs.  I was 5'3" and 110 lbs.  I had never given my weight a thought as I felt fine about myself.  

Her comment destroyed my self image.  I immediately started to diet.  Dropped down to 95 lbs. and dealt with a newfound eating disorder from then until I was about 45.  

I can't imagine why I put so much stock into what she said but, for whatever reason, she had a profound effect upon me.  

That happened to my sister too.  She took dancing lessons from the age of 3 and loved it.  She was good, she excelled at tap.  In h.s. she performed a tap routine she'done in a recital.  She had a gorgeous silver and black costume.  She was just under 5 feet and abround 100lbs.  Her dance routine was well received by the audience.  When she got back stage, a teacher said "Go fatty go, those thighs were shaking".  Over 50 years later and my sister still remembers her exact words.  After that my sister stopped dancing, she never took another class.  She also went on every weird diet out there to get down to a size 90lbs.   

Respected Contributor

My 3rd grade teacher had a razor strap that he kept in class and called it "brown Ginny" I will never forget and I'm 72.  During spelling one day I missed the word neighbor (spelled it nieghbor)  If you miss spelled a word he would have you hold out your hand palm side up and he would wack your hand with "brown Ginny"  I got my hand wacked with the razor strap and boy did it hurt ! Back then teachers could use that type of punishment to correct students. My first grade teacher had a bunch of small tree limbs that she kept wrapped in newspaper and I remember she lined up the entire class and as each child walked past her she wacked us on the butt because the class was acting up. 

Respected Contributor

public humiliation.  in the '60s i attended Florida schools as a child, in the winter.  i was in first grade, i think we arrived sometime in January. anyway, after school i would walk home and one day got into a scuffle with another girl around my age, i didn't really know her, she was in a different classroom.  i don't recall why we had the fight and we were from LI NY and later learned the girl was from LI too.

anyway, while we fought, i inadvertantly tore the sash of her dress.  the next day the teacher called me to the front of the class and held up the torn dress and showed it around and told the class that i was a bad girl and look what rotten thing  i did! 

my mother then went with me over to the girl's house to apologize.

i don't know why this could not have been handled without putting me on the spot like that. kids taunted me afterwards. the fight didnt even happen on school property.  i was mortified of course. the worst thing is having a teacher hate you.