Respected Contributor

Negatve Things a Teacher Said to You in School?

[ Edited ]

I am a retired teacher and tried to say things differently to students especially things that need correcting etc. I feel for those in the profession today. Some comments do remain. 

Every single time I see  a picture  or real blue flowers I think of a teacher that told me "There is no such thing as blue flowers." that I colored.  My Father told me I tried too hard and when I told her that, she said there was no such thing as trying to hard. Dad saw my frustration trying  to succeed at home.

The meanest one  I had  who had a kitchen timer for 5 min. Bathroom breaks and 15 min. recess told me "Your handwriting will never make it ! " I began to print in 6th grade and only signed a signature. They don't even teach cursive in school any more.

Stupid.... but it is never forgotten.  Those two grades I happily moved out of in school. All and all I liked school and still enjoy learning.

Honored Contributor

Re: Negatve Things a Teacher Said to You in School?

Went to my math teacher for help and she said "sit down and figure it out yourself."  From that day on I lost all interest in Math and to this day am horrible at it.

Respected Contributor

I don't remember anything negative being said to me I had good encouraging teachers as far as I an remember, but I'm old probably don't remember everything.  Well once a boy kissed me in something like first grade and the teacher kind of shamed both of us when I didn't encourage or want to be kissed.

Last year my granddaughter had a teacher that was in her last year of teaching and my granddaughter is a twin, one twin as fine but the other is very sensitive and shy and the teacher made fun of her a lot, I think she knew she could get away with it.  We were glad when last year ended!  

I think teaching is a very hard job and I could not do it so I usually support the teacher but last year it was all I could do not to say something.  My daughter did send an email to the principal regarding the issue.

Respected Contributor

When I was about 11-years old, & trying to grasp some aspect of fractions or something and maybe she was frustrated or lost her patience trying to explain. The teacher said to me:  "You'll never be good at math" and just walked away.  Her words have stuck with me forever.

Honored Contributor

I was shy and my 6th grade teacher decided I was his " project ."  He constantly pointed out how quiet and shy I was and took every opportunity to push me out front .  It was a nightmare and I didn't want to go to school because I never knew what he would have me do next.  Instead of helping, he just made it worse. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Regular Contributor

A teacher's remark to me in second grade. The class was singing Home on the Range.  As she walked by me, she tapped me on the shoulder and said, "You Hum."  She was absolutely correct.  I cannot carry a tune in a bucket but that remark will stay with me forever and a day.  I pretend I am singing in church but not a sound comes out.  It is terrible not to be able to sing and if I had one wish it would be to sing at least a little. 

Respected Contributor

What a negative topic. Stirring this kind of thing up doesn't do anyone any good. 

Esteemed Contributor

Words are like arrows that pierce the spirit. Some people never forget harsh words. Especially children. It alters the blueprint of their life. 

We have another thread here discussing body image and shaming. Words hurt, and the recipient does not forget when people make these unnecessary comments. Especially when they are said in the guise of helping the recipient. 

Choose what you say carefully. Words hurt. 

Respected Contributor

That is very unkind, I am sure its helpful to many to be able to talk about it.  

Esteemed Contributor

My senior year of HS all girls were strongly encouraged to take Office Automation.

My first period class was Stenography that was taught by Edith Bunker's lookalike. I often skipped class.

One day I did attend class and she screeched "you'll never get anywhere as a female without being able to take dictation!"

So glad I didn't listen !