Respected Contributor

I go in different cycles.  Currently now I am into those little clementine oranges and peeled frozen bananas.

Honored Contributor

Re: Need suggestions

[ Edited ]

@software wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@Daisy Sunflower  .... Grapes. Now that is a good suggestion. I forget about them too. And their good for me, right?

@Sheila P-Burg  Not good for everyone...just one grape would send DH and my blood sugar spiking to high heaven. Bananas and mangos are also very high carb/sugar fruits.

We can't eat most fruits...fruit juices are out. On rare occasions DH & I will split an apple or share a mandarin orange serving (2 are 1 serving) with a sandwich for lunch once in awhile...or a handful of strawberries or blackberries, but that's it.

We have also learned we had to cut out snacking too and only eat 2 meals a day. We will have a dessert with dinner 2-3 days a week, but they are low carb/keto options Smiley Happy

Fruit, in a large quantity, is not good for everyone, diabetes or not.

And no matter your own personal dietary requirements, always pair fruit with a protein.  You are more likely to metabolize the sugar immediately, rather than storing it.   

@software  We choose to eat no more fruit than we do now. Everyone's blood sugar is different. We know what ours does when we eat certain foods. There are so many folks who don't even know what their blood sugar levels are. Some don't have to worry because they have good genes. Others rarely eat carbs/sugars anyway, so they don't have to worry either.

However, there are many folks who have never had their blood sugar checked and are already experiencing signs of insulin resistance with health issues/symptoms. And still others know their blood sugar levels are high and choose to continue eating lots of carbs/sugars anyway.

Everyone who reads this post knows exactly what group they are in.

DH and I are happy to be on the path we are on now...so grateful we stopped eating the old way before our health had gotten any worse. By doing so we were able to reverse many health issues.

Trusted Contributor

Currently I do the intermittent fasting.  I fast for 16 hours.  During the 8 hours I can eat, I do not snack....so my snacks are now zip.  Smiles.  However, when I did snack my favorite was Chicago mix popcorn...the salty cheese with the sweet caramel...oh la la.  Heaven to me.  Happy Snacking.

Trusted Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Lately I have been testing pumpkin pies out for flavor and tomorrow I am moving on to cranberry muffins.  

@Still Raining  I love, LOVE, love your style.  A slice a pumpkin pie sounds divine to me right now.

Trusted Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@dex  .... I forgot about them. I haven't had a biscotti since I left Pittsburgh. Not a common thing here where I am now. Now I am craving a good biscotti and a Pittsburgh salad (lettuce, meat and French fries).

@Sheila P-Burg  You had me at French fries.  I have never heard of a Pittsburgh salad.  

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Not much into sweets, but salt, chips, etc.  that’s my Achilles heel.

@Annabellethecat66  I've yet to meet a chip I didn't like.  Giggles.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus  ..... I have never tried that. Sounds good. Definitely going to give it a taste . Thank you!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Need suggestions

[ Edited ]

@Misplaced Parisian  .... Took me years after moving to Pittsburgh to even give the salad a try. Kept thinking french fries in a salad? Normally it is lettuce, cheese, steak or fish, and warm french fries. Use your favorite dressing though most of the people I know use Ranch. Believe it or not it is good ..... not healthy but good.

Respected Contributor

I like DARK chocolate!  I keep Ghiradelli bittersweet chips in the house.  They are 60% cocoa.  I prefer 72 or higher, but these are okay.  I'll take five several times throughout the day as a snack.  For decadence, I'll take a heaping teaspoon of Ghiradelli cocoa powder, dissolve it in about 2 tsp water (nuke it), and add honey to sweeten it.  It's a delicious, guilt-free yum snack!  Sometimes I'll sweeten the cocoa powder with a small piece of banana.  Also good.

Other snacks  ....  seeds mixed with dried cranberries, and cheese.  I can't eat nuts, as they trigger migraines, but if I could, those would be on the list!

Respected Contributor

Oatmeal raisin cookies.

Graham cracker cookies.

all fruits when in season.

Flat bread with jam.