Honored Contributor

Unless she has it in writing, she can not hold him to anything other than the law governing landlord and tenants which gives him a minimum of 30 days, probably longer since he has been a tenant for over two years.

Esteemed Contributor

The o/p hasn't been back. 

Let me say this loud and clear YOU NEED AN ATTORNEY TO LAWFULLY EVICT HIM!

If you don't do the eviction legally, then HE can turn around and SUE YOU, for unlawful eviction, and that whole process can take months before it's resolved. Meanwhile, that whole time, he's still residing in that space.

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

If his rent is paid current, you can't kick him out.   I've seen this scenario on Judge Judy several times.  You'd get a lecture as to why nothing was in writing, and pictures before and after as proof that updating was done.  It's a he said, she said situation.  I think you will need to start the eviction process according to the law in your area.

Judge Judy ???      LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

34 and single, and won't get out of the house when little children are involved?  This dude needs a reality check.

I'd hire a couple of "movers", pay them well, and he would be out pretty quick.

This situation calls for immediate action.....

OP, please do not take this advice!!

It's just wrong on so many levels, not to mention completely illegal.  The ramifications could be quite serious, not to mention costly.

Contributor

Thank you all for your input and in most cases your kind words, here is the update, not all good but could have been much worse.  He left without a big scene, like he originally told us he was able to vacate in two days he didn't even take to the end of the week, however he sold my appliances, before we had even given him notice, he sold all the copper wire in the doorbell, he threw ashes and cigarette butts all through the house and he had people living with him and they were paying him more rent than we were charging him! The neighbor told us he had cars coming and going at all hours through the night so I suspect he really did not want the law involved, he left his renters there but they left when we asked them to. We will never rent this house again, as soon as my daughter can be out, it goes on the market. As to our daughter, her and her husband moved from Michigan where they had lost their jobs, the economy is terrible there, my son in law found work in Ohio, he is a steel worker, and had to go where the work is.  They had problems paying on time after unemployment ran out and trying to live on daughters income, she made 10.00 an hour at a jewlery store, but they were paid up, but paying late has hurt their credit rating. They refused to go on welfare, they did the best they could and we have helped as much as we could. Again thank you for listening.

Super Contributor

Now that's a relative you could do without!

Respected Contributor

Well it could have been a lot worse.   Thank goodness he's gone.  

LOL, just how much copper can there be in a doorbell?

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

I just read this and am happy that you are rid of your nephew as a renter.  He definitely sounds like a "taker".  As far as your family thinking you are terrible.... that tells me they must be enablers.  Enablers are just that....they encourage and enable people to stay the way they are...... no matter how dysfunctional they are. 

I know people I love very much and, as much as I care about them, if they are enablers, I rarely take their advice on people problems as they almost always lean on the side of being too lenient and literally are party to keeping that  dysfunctional person in a state of dysfunction.  They may not mean to do that....but that is exactly what  happens.

Someone probably already said this, but I am hoping you took pictures of the damage he did...just in case you might need them.

I wish all the best for your daughter and her family.  These are tough times for some young couples.  My son-in-law has a degree in engineering and he is good at what he does but he just got notice that, yet another job is selling out.  This is his 4th time.  He has been offered a higher paying job in a state far away but has decided to take less and stay here.  They are tired of moving.  I feel for these young families today.