Respected Contributor

Need opinions about choosing a dentist

I'm overedue for a cleaning. And I've been having pain in a molar - I think it's a wisdom tooth.  So I made an appt with a local/popular dentist but they told me that if the tooth needs pulled they'll refer me to an oral surgeon.  I'm thinking I'd rather go to a dentist who "does it all."  What do you guys think? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Need opinions about choosing a dentist

I have had 2 dentists while living here. Neither would pull teeth.

Since you also need a cleaning I would go have that done along with your checkup. They can tell you what the issue is.

IMO if it's a wisdom tooth I would pull it. No sense spending money trying to save a wisdom tooth you don't need.

Your new dentist can refer you to another dentist if it needs to be pulled.

I had to have all 4 of my wisdom teeth cut out as there was no room for them to come in & they were trying to come in from under my back teeth.

DH has all 4 of his wisdom teeth only because his parents did not have the money to have them removed so he had to suffer in pain for weeks plus could not eat. 

Valued Contributor

In my area the dentist do not remove teeth. It is the oral surgeon that does that work.

Esteemed Contributor

It must be a magic dentist if you were diagnosed without being seen.

However all the wisdom teeth I know about were extracted by an oral surgeon.

Esteemed Contributor

Oral surgeon all the way.  I hurt my female dentist (new of 5 years) when I refused to let her pull.  Have always gone to this one oral surgeon firm for years - sinus area is delicate - and being surgeons that is all they do.

Respected Contributor

I think dentistry is getting as specialized as medicine these days, so maybe only oral surgeons pull teeth now.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Contributor

[ Edited ]

If your wisdom tooth/teeth are impacted, you would need to see an oral surgeon.  A general dentist won't be able to do that.  It would be like seeing a primary care physician for orthopedic surgery.

Also, when I had mine out at the age of 21, all four wisdom teeth were impacted.  I saw an oral surgeon who extracted all 4 teeth at the same time,  Often, there is more to extracting a wisdom tooth than "pulling it".  They had to cut my gums to remove them, and stitch me up.

The same thing for root canals.  Root canal =  Endontist

Respected Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

It must be a magic dentist if you were diagnosed without being seen.

However all the wisdom teeth I know about were extracted by an oral surgeon.

What are you talking about?  Nothing has been diagnosed.  When I called to make the appt they informad me that they don't do extractions.  That's all.

Honored Contributor

I've never had a dentist who "did it all".  Extractions = oral surgeon.  I wouldn't want it any other way.

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I've never had a dentist who "did it all".  Extractions = oral surgeon.  I wouldn't want it any other way.

They sure used to and some still do.  Like someone else said everything's specialized today.