Respected Contributor

Need good thoughts and positive energy

I'm really frazzled. My doctor is driving me crazy. What it boils down to is, she's really a good gal but we aren't on the same wavelength.

Quick example: I have hepatitis and of course alcohol is a no-no for me. I mentioned to her yesterday that I had a yen for a margarita recently and would one drink do too much damage.

She seemed to think I was jonesin' for booze; I wasn't (It occurred to me later I could have just had a "virgin" Margarita.) but now I'm wondering if she thinks I'm a booze hound.

She's going on maternity leave pretty soon and her patients will be assigned to whatever doctor is available while she's gone, and I'm going to try to "shop around" and see if there's a doctor I'm more compatible with. And, yes, I've thought of having a talk with her about our incompatability but I don't think I can get through to her. Lord knows I've really tried.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need good thoughts and positive energy

I have had a similar situation for some years now....we have had our ups and downs but she is an excellent doctor..............but my advice to you is LOOK AROUND while you have the opportunity and go for the doc you prefer..........if you don't act now you will regret it....and be right back in the same position when she returns from her leave.....................................

Honored Contributor

I would shop around to see if you can find another doctor who you are more compatible with.  I did that a few years ago myself and it's not easy but in the end it was worth it!  I love my new primary and couldn't stand my previous one.

However I just wouldn't bother to confront her with the issues bothering you...what for?  It's not going to change her personality.

Have a virgin Margarita until you get to speak with a new doctor.

Esteemed Contributor

@GoneButNotForgottenThat was is a perfectly acceptable question to ask your doctor. It is no different than a diabetic asking if they can have a piece of cake once in a while. Don't pay attention to the nasty remarks.

Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten  If there are other issues besides the Margarita where you don't click, I definitely would find another physician.

However, just know, that there's probably not a single other doc, or health care provider,  who wouldn't have been alarmed by your question considering your condition.

I can remember being told,  when first doing admission assessments as an RN, that if a patient says they drink a six pack of beer a day, that it's probably about three times that much, or more, and watch for signs of W/D. I found this to be true many times. 

The problem is, we often keep things from our docs because of fear of judgment. Just like you felt judged with a simple question.

While your request may have been innocent and just seeking a personal answer, or even partially joking, with no desire to be boozing, the health care provider never can be certain, so they have to dig a little. It's meant to be protective, but can often come across as blaming and controlling. 

Esteemed Contributor

Hopefully, you are consulting with a Hepatologist or Gatroenterology group abt your Hepatitis.   Not sure if you mean that you had a positive test to Hepatitis B or C .  Some people test positive  for B or C but they do not have issues with their liver  nor have elevated liver enzymes . So, not sure of your case.  There are  medical treatments for Hepatitis . As far as drinking if you have elevated liver enzymes , any Doctor would not advise one drink or ten drinks . They would also caution you abt Tylenol and any other medication metabolized by the liver.

Respected Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten  If there are other issues besides the Margarita where you don't click, I definitely would find another physician.

However, just know, that there's probably not a single other doc, or health care provider,  who wouldn't have been alarmed by your question considering your condition.

I can remember being told,  when first doing admission assessments as an RN, that if a patient says they drink a six pack of beer a day, that it's probably about three times that much, or more, and watch for signs of W/D. I found this to be true many times. 

The problem is, we often keep things from our docs because of fear of judgment. Just like you felt judged with a simple question.

While your request may have been innocent and just seeking a personal answer, or even partially joking, with no desire to be boozing, the health care provider never can be certain, so they have to dig a little. It's meant to be protective, but can often come across as blaming and controlling. 

Well said; thank you.

Honored Contributor

With her going on maternity leave, now would be a good time to see if you can find someone you are more compatable with. 

Good luck if they are anything like NJ.  My husband was given the name of a urologist - well good luck to us - it's like every single urologist in the state belongs to one group with 12 locations however they only have ONE phone number to try to get an appointment and no option to wait to speak with a human.

He finally got in the car and rode over to the nearest location to make an appointment in person.

Honored Contributor

There's no point in talking to her. The two of you are just not compatible. That happened to me twice.  I had to shop around for a different PCP.   My PCP is a nurse practioner now, I never see the doctor she works with.  

Valued Contributor

It is your health you have the right to find one to whom you feel fits your needs.