Super Contributor

I have lost some weight and now wear a smaller size.  
I can't decide what to do with my larger size clothes.

do I keep or donate? 

Valued Contributor

Congratulations!!!!

Donate your larger sized clothes and enjoy shopping your new size.  

If you have anything that you love but doesn't fit, it would be worth having them altered.

Honored Contributor

@crazered 

Congratulations --- what a wonderful achievement!  You are to be given such praise, as this is a very hard thing!

I would say if you feel very, very committed, please donate them!  If you have a few items which can still be worn as casual knock-about things, maybe keep them, but get the rest out of your house!

What was the secret to your success, if you don't mind my asking?

I am struggling right now myself and not able to get a grip on it yet once again!

And once more --- Congrats!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Need advise on clothes

[ Edited ]

@crazered wrote:

I have lost some weight and now wear a smaller size.  
I can't decide what to do with my larger size clothes.

do I keep or donate? 

Yay!  I hope you feel great!

Get rid of them and help someone else in the process  If you are at the weight you want to stay at, it will keep you accountable, in a way.  Otherwise, you always have it in the back of your mind that you have the safety net, so to speak, so you can get lazy with your eating plan. When I was losing all my weight the rate of loss was so fast that it required me to replace my wardrobe every season and part with the old,  I only kept one pair of jeans and a couple tshirts each time, in case I needed something to wear while doing dirty, or potentially dirty, jobs. The rest I gave away to family and charity.  No, I didn't like looking at the value of certain things, like my Irish sweaters, but I had to s*uck it up and accept that, that money was already spent, and gone, and no good would come from fussing about it now.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Need advise on clothes

[ Edited ]

congratulations!! Donate or resale them! I'm in the process of getting a bag ready for donations. I am also taking some items for resale. I have made a few dollars from the resale shop. I kept a few items that I could still use but most were donated.The only thing that still fit are my earrings and necklaces! I wear all my rings on different fingers now.

One thing I didn't change was my watch band. I like the fact that is slides down my wrist. It a good reminder of my weight loss! Way to go! rockstar!

Super Contributor

To honest I didn't do dieting. I just started loosing weight. 
Now if I get a hamburger Itake off one of the buns.

I now order kids meal. I fill up fast.

I am glad Ilost weight. Maybe getting old did it. 

Honored Contributor

Keep!!! I recently donated lots of clothes. Now I wish I had not.

Honored Contributor

Don't be too hasty...the holidays are coming...(ya know....cookies and egg nog)......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

As one whose weight fluctuates between a range of sizes, I never donate all of a size. I have some plastic bins where I store my better quality or favorite bottoms. My tops do not vary in fit that much as I gain or lose weight. They stay hanging in my closet.

I would not donate all of your larger clothes. If you have space, keep your favorite pieces for a "just in case" scenario. My "just in case" was this summer during my husband's health scare. After we got through the scare, we wanted comfort food and treats. I gained 15 pounds of the 30 that I had lost during the COVID lockdown. I am glad I kept those bigger bottoms. Clothing these days is expensive.

Honored Contributor

I would keep the clothes till after the holidays!

good-luck-to-you-on-your-weight