Super Contributor

Re: Need advice on outdoor security or trail camera.

Why wouldn't you go to the police station and explain to them  why you are seeking their advice, then speak to the professional home security companies.  This is a new age and new world.  Be as safe as you possibly can be.

Trusted Contributor

@IndiaRose wrote:

Why wouldn't you go to the police station and explain to them  why you are seeking their advice, then speak to the professional home security companies.  This is a new age and new world.  Be as safe as you possibly can be.

I was hoping to find an easy solution that doesn't involve monthly security fees. I think the professional services are expensive & probably not necessary at this point. We built our house over 20 years ago & until a few days ago I've always felt safe here. I guess I question whether I'm overreacting. Maybe I shouldn't have called 911 at all? But I was really scared- I didn't know what they were planning to do next. I hate to bother the police.  I was hoping to try to get a picture of the culprits & take it from there. I can't prove they did any damage. Will the police even do anything if I find out who's been doing it? What, if anything, would they charge them with? Maybe even trying to get a picture is pointless? I guess I have no real experience with anything like this....

I value the opinions of everyone here. They always seem to have good advice. 

Honored Contributor

When in doubt I'd always vote for calling the police.  They deal with so many stupid people they'd think nothing of a call like yours.  That's what they're there for.  Better to be safe than sorry.  Maybe the hooligans were watching and now know you're seriously peeved about them so will think twice about doing it again.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

We live in a great neighborhood, but every once in awhile, (probably when parents aren't home and a certain bunch gets together) we have the issue of them ringing the doorbell and running. It is so annoying!  Our dog flips out and it really irritates me because of my back problems. They have never done anything like you mentioned, and it's never that late at night. 

What you described sounds really scary. You shouldn't feel bad at all for calling 911. That sounds way over the line for a young teenage prank. You never know their intentions. 

I thought about getting a camera just to get to the bottom of it by finding out who it was. But one night I managed to hide outside on the back porch and was fast enough to catch one of them running away by cutting across our neighbors yard. I think they scatter in different directions. I confronted him and of course he played all innocent and said it wasn't him. He was respectful but I said " I know it was you, and you can tell all your buddies if they keep doing it, it's not gonna be pretty". He said "I swear it wasn't me" and I said "you heard what I said", and he said "yes ma'am".  

It hasn't happened again since then, lol. I know they are not bad kids. 

You could also install the really bright motion lights. If you think they are being mischievous, that would probably be ok, and work. It sounds like more than that to me. I would want a camera as well. 

Honored Contributor

You need to be very careful.....and call 911 if you sense any danger.    About a month ago, three young men (dressed very conservatively, and carrying "a book") came down my street.   When I didn't let them in, they began yelling at me, and one said, "Let's break the gate down."   A second one said, "Not a good idea."      These men were obviously disguising themselves as missionaries, and probably casing the subdivision.     Yes, we do get missionaries, but, without fail, they are always courteous and polite.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi  That's seriously scary Di.  Did you call the police?  I had a nice-looking college age girl come to my door saying she represented my phone/Internet company and she and her partner needed to come in and check my equipment.  I asked for an ID and she flashed something from another company.  I told her she could not come in my house so she eventually left.  I called the police immediately but they couldn't find her.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624     I was pretty shaken up, because the men were really yelling at me and acting belligerently.    I came in the house and LOCKED the doors and windows up.    Had to sit down and calm myself.......and then I looked outside again to see if they were still hanging around.    They were nowhere in sight, and I actually couldn't describe them except they were "clean cut" and  wearing long sleeve white shirts, narrow black ties, black pants.....and each carrying "a book".  (TIES in PHX????)   I didn't call the police......but later on, I thought more about it, and realized I should have called 911 immediately.    Whew.....I still get the chills thinking about it.     di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I'd put up motion senser lights on the telephone pole if you have one and all around.  Ask for a deputy to come over and tell you what is most effective.

Installing motion sensitive lights is the BEST idea.  As someone approaches your door or your back bedroom they'll be flooded with a bright light and think better of what they're about to do.

I feel terrible for you as it must be terrifying to have a banging on the door and the doorbell repeatedly rung at such an hour of night.  What's wrong with people???

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

When in doubt I'd always vote for calling the police.  They deal with so many stupid people they'd think nothing of a call like yours.  That's what they're there for.  Better to be safe than sorry.  Maybe the hooligans were watching and now know you're seriously peeved about them so will think twice about doing it again.

I hope you're right about them seeing the police & thinking twice before doing it again. I just wished I'd called after the banging on the door & yelling. The police probably would have arrived just as they were ringing the doorbell. 

Trusted Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:

We live in a great neighborhood, but every once in awhile, (probably when parents aren't home and a certain bunch gets together) we have the issue of them ringing the doorbell and running. It is so annoying!  Our dog flips out and it really irritates me because of my back problems. They have never done anything like you mentioned, and it's never that late at night. 

What you described sounds really scary. You shouldn't feel bad at all for calling 911. That sounds way over the line for a young teenage prank. You never know their intentions. 

I thought about getting a camera just to get to the bottom of it by finding out who it was. But one night I managed to hide outside on the back porch and was fast enough to catch one of them running away by cutting across our neighbors yard. I think they scatter in different directions. I confronted him and of course he played all innocent and said it wasn't him. He was respectful but I said " I know it was you, and you can tell all your buddies if they keep doing it, it's not gonna be pretty". He said "I swear it wasn't me" and I said "you heard what I said", and he said "yes ma'am".  

It hasn't happened again since then, lol. I know they are not bad kids. 

You could also install the really bright motion lights. If you think they are being mischievous, that would probably be ok, and work. It sounds like more than that to me. I would want a camera as well. 

You are way braver than me- hiding outside? I'm hiding inside... I think it would be different if I had any idea who was doing it. We don't really have any kids in our subdivision anymore. They're all grown & off to college or grade school kids. And the three we saw were big-definitely teens. I also wonder why were they waiting by the mailbox? Were there a couple more waiting by the door to see if anyone would come out to investigate? What would have happened then?

Why are they targeting my house? We don't bother anyone.  I haven't spoken to all my neighbors but a few of them & no one else has had a problem. It's frustrating...