Trusted Contributor

Need advice on outdoor security or trail camera.

Monday evening at exactly midnight we were awoken by a loud banging noise. It scared us & we had no idea what it was. Got up & looked around the house. Couldn't find anything wrong so we went back to bed. About 10 minutes later someone started banging on the door near our bedroom window. It sounded like they were trying to bust the door down and they were yelling. I was terrified! I debated calling 911 but didn't. We looked out the windows but couldn't see anyone. After almost an hour we finally went back to bed. A little after 1:00am they started ringing the doorbell! At this point I had had enough & called 911. As I was on the phone we could see 3 people walking down the road in front of the house. It was a full moon so you could see outdoors. One had a flashlight. They stood by the mailbox for a minute or two & went up the road. By the time the police arrived they were gone. The police went up & down the road several times shining a spotlight in between the houses. No luck. 

For the past year or so we have had several incidents of someone ringing the doorbell & running. It's always been on Saturday nights & usually between 9 & 10pm. After the first incident we didn't  even bother getting up to answer the door. There is a church near our home that has a youth night on Saturdays between 9-11. I always figured it was kids sneaking out of there & roaming the neighborhood. I debated getting security cameras but figured they would tire of it. Since Monday's episode I really want to do something. It seems they're getting more brazen & I have to worry what is next! Looking for recommendations on motion activated cameras that might help me get a photo of the culprits. Want something easy to install, preferably without drilling into the house. Also something that won't flash. If it's outdoors I'm afraid they'll steal it if they see it take a picture. 

As further info it's possible they shattered my outdoor patio table & a planter. I noticed the glass table shattered after we had been out of town for the weekend. I read online that there have been incidents of these tables shattering on their own. Now I have my doubts. And a cheap ceramic planter that was sitting on the grass near my back steps was broken. I'm wondering if they took a baseball bat to them. Couldn't ever prove it but this is another reason to set up a camera or two!

Would appreciate any suggestions! TIA....

Honored Contributor

Re: Need advice on outdoor security or trail camera.

I'd put up motion senser lights on the telephone pole if you have one and all around.  Ask for a deputy to come over and tell you what is most effective.

Respected Contributor

NEST SECURITY Camera

When I'm walking my dog I see them in people's windows.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I'd put up motion senser lights on the telephone pole if you have one and all around.  Ask for a deputy to come over and tell you what is most effective.

Thanks for the response. We have one small tree near our house but no utility poles-everything is underground. 

Trusted Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

NEST SECURITY Camera

When I'm walking my dog I see them in people's windows.

Those look interesting. Googling it right now- thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

I can only imagine how scary that must have been for you. A few comments since you asked for suggestions. A trail camera would work, but you would have to mount it high enough on your home (or in a tree) so that it would be less likely they would take it or destroy it. You also have to test the camera to make sure that it is going to get pictures of your front or back door. You might just call a home security company and have them come out to your home, make recommendations and give you some estimates. Based on what you experienced, I think I'd want the "experts" to set up security cameras based on their expertise. Hopefully you'll get some more suggestions here. Good luck to you.

Honored Contributor

I'm a big fan of the TV program North Woods Law about the game wardens in Maine.  These cameras seem to be widely used by hunters to check on game activity and by the wardens to check on hunters and to bust tresspassers.  You might check on cameras with a big sporting goods store like Cabella's.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Same thing had been happening to me.........so I put up a high wrought iron fence with a key-locking gate.   Costly...but effective.   I sleep 100% better.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

So sorry. How annoying. Maybe talk with the church about your concerns and see if they can monitor the kids closer. I'm sure they wouldn't want the church to be identified in any police reports regarding vandalism or theft from their youth group. This would definitely be a negligence on their part.

I think a few security cameras and sensor lights are a good idea. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

If I were going to spend money on anything, I would go with a security system with cameras covering the front and back of the house.   The system can be as basic, or as complex as you want.  Trail cams are great for catching the different types of wildlife wandering across your property, but I would not depend on one to get pictures of people, when the images may need to be used as evidence.