Trusted Contributor

Need advice on a strange problem with carpets

This is a very strange problem.  I have my area rugs cleaned by the same person for years.  Drop them off and pick them up when done.  Two months ago we dropped off two rugs and waited.  About three weeks ago I received a call from a man who said he was the brother of the man who does our cleaning.  He stated his brother was very ill and wanted to let us know that he would be getting back to business shortly.  After giving it carefull consideration, I decided to pick up my rugs at the store.  His assistant said the rugs were "in process" I requested that he call me in one week.  To date, two weeks later no call, the store is closed, I dont know the Brothers where abouts except Florida (this is the Mid Atlantic) and no one answers the phone.  I have sent two emails.  Any suggestions of where to go from here?  Has anyone had this issue?

Honored Contributor

Re: Need advice on a strange problem with carpets

@Deanie

Check out the BBB.

You could also contact your news' I-Team (investigation) or contact the Attorney General to file a complaint.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, I think I will contact the AGs office at least for guidance. 

Honored Contributor

Wow, no I have never had a problem like this personally, but I am sure it happens!  I'd call the Better Business Bureau or you local Chamber of Commerce to see what is going on with the business!  The man may have died and the business maybe part of his Estate!

Honored Contributor

Very interesting and has not happened to me, however, since you have personal property inside their business and there is no one responding to calls, emails, etc. you are becoming alarmed that their business has gone belly up and you want to pick up your possessions. (finished or not).... perhaps the local police should be informed that no one is answering, no one will give you back your property and you are concerned something untoward has happend to the family that owns it.....

I also think contacting the local "Make it Right" person on the local news, they may take an interest in this.....

BBB is also a good idea but often the data isn't quite up to date. if a problem has just happened ....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I have a feeling you might never see your rugs again..so sorry.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Honored Contributor

Good luck getting your rugs back, it's a tough problem.  Send us the link when it's on Action News.

Honored Contributor

I've always thought that something like this could easily happen with a small local business. If the man is really ill or has passed, I feel so bad for the family. 

But someone has to step forward and at least release people's property to them. Please keep us updated if you get any response.

Honored Contributor

When my first husband was alive he had a business repairing - restoring and detailing speciality motor cars. When he died suddenly I did not know what to do with the business. The attorney said to just close the doors and walk away, but I had customer's cars in there and there were a couple employees. In the end - but it took me a few weeks - I asked the one employee who was the most reliable one , to finish the work on the cars that were there but not to accept any new business. He did that for me, and I let him charge the customers and keep what he got. I moved out my DH's tools and locked the doors. The employees got unemployment until they found new jobs. I notified the landlord that my DH had died and I had moved his business out of the building, so it was available to rent. I think if this man has died there is a good chance you may never see your rugs again. I don't know what would have happened if I had done as the attorney said and just locked the place up with people's cars in there.

Honored Contributor

Perhaps if you go to the local magistrate with your receipt showing when you took them in he/she could make them release them back to you.