Contributor

Re: Need Job Advice from My Friends Here

Just wondering...did you take the job?

Trusted Contributor

Apple, a family member of mine recently had to give up a high paying job because the stress was killing him.  After two stress-related visits to the ER, he realized that the high pay was not worth the stress.  He now has a job making a little over HALF what he was making and he has "made do" with the lower salary!  He said it was worth less income in order to be stress-free!

Good luck to you in making the right decision, and post again as to what you decided.  It sounds like a job you would enjoy, and that means a lot!  Blessings to you.

Respected Contributor

I would definitely take the job!!  The insurance, the holidays, and the short commute are monetary factors that add to your salary.  Also, if you take the job, you might be able to take on more responsibilities as you settle in and get a raise.  You're really coming from a stronger position in finding another job if you're already employed.  It's not a life sentence!  Take the job!!!

Super Contributor

I wanted to update everyone.

Sorry for the delay, I've been dealing with a lot.

I did accept the job and it starts next week.    Your comments helped and made me feel that I wasn't alone.

I am so nervous!   I had been with my previous employer for 20 years and it's hard to make such a change.    

I did find out that he position isn't hourly, it's salaried.   I hope that doesn't mean tons of overtime.   My work/life balance is very important to me.    I had to sign a contract where they can terminate the job at will as can I.   It does provide good insurance, but the contract states that they can change and eliminate insurance at any time.   I guess they have to cover their bases, I suppose.

Anyway, I'm so nervous.     I just hope it's going to work out.   Even though the salary is low, I weighed all the options.   I can still look for a job should it not pan out.

I keep seeing all the issues because I've been burned before.   I just hope all their "positive" pre hire appearances ring true.

Thanks again for all your kind words of support and assistance.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Apple Head

I hope everything works out for you.  

Good luck!!  

Honored Contributor

@Apple Head

I've worked at what I jokingly refer to a 'fire at will' company for almost 35 years.  Don't let that scare you.  As far as insurance changes, sure it could happen, but it usually happens once a year at open enrollment.

My first 8 years at my company - I was covered by a collective bargaining agreement.  The remaining years I've been non union.

Do I sometimes work more hours with no extra pay - yea, but it doesn't happen often.

If nothing else, this new job will get you back in the saddle and back into a routine.

Good luck to you and try to take it one day at a time.  It's always nerve wracking when you are the new kid on the block. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@Apple Head

I've worked at what I jokingly refer to a 'fire at will' company for almost 35 years.  Don't let that scare you.  As far as insurance changes, sure it could happen, but it usually happens once a year at open enrollment.

My first 8 years at my company - I was covered by a collective bargaining agreement.  The remaining years I've been non union.

Do I sometimes work more hours with no extra pay - yea, but it doesn't happen often.

If nothing else, this new job will get you back in the saddle and back into a routine.

Good luck to you and try to take it one day at a time.  It's always nerve wracking when you are the new kid on the block. 

Dear @Apple Head

@Bird mama has covered all the bases here for you.  She is a wise woman!  I just wanted to add two things:  One is that I believe most jobs are "fire at will" (folks can correct me) and second is that I am sending you happy thoughts for your new job.  I think it's often difficult to make a decision but once it's done, then life goes more smoothly and easily.  So have a wonderful new year, and know that hugs and good wishes are following you.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Valued Contributor

@Apple Head

Good wishes coming your way.  I feel certain you will love your new job.  I thought you have some marvelous advice here and followed it well. May 2016 be the best year of your life!

Respected Contributor

@Apple Head wrote:

I wanted to update everyone.

Sorry for the delay, I've been dealing with a lot.

I did accept the job and it starts next week.    Your comments helped and made me feel that I wasn't alone.

I am so nervous!   I had been with my previous employer for 20 years and it's hard to make such a change.    

I did find out that he position isn't hourly, it's salaried.   I hope that doesn't mean tons of overtime.   My work/life balance is very important to me.    I had to sign a contract where they can terminate the job at will as can I.   It does provide good insurance, but the contract states that they can change and eliminate insurance at any time.   I guess they have to cover their bases, I suppose.

Anyway, I'm so nervous.     I just hope it's going to work out.   Even though the salary is low, I weighed all the options.   I can still look for a job should it not pan out.

I keep seeing all the issues because I've been burned before.   I just hope all their "positive" pre hire appearances ring true.

Thanks again for all your kind words of support and assistance.

Congratulations!  I'm so glad you took the job!!!  You need to relax, if you can.  At first, do a lot of listening.  Get to know people on the staff before confiding in anyone.  Smile a lot and enjoy yourself!!!  Good luck!

Super Contributor

Thanks everyone.   You've helped me in countless ways!

I'll be nervous until I learn things and know what I'll be doing.   I have been through a lot of trauma in the last year, some of the fear is having to deal with that for so long.   I tend to look for disappointment.

I'll give it my best shot.   

Wish you all lived near me.   You would be wonderful friends to know!