Respected Contributor

Whenever I need to buy for someone where I don't know what they want or need (or maybe they don't need or want anything), I always go for something consumable.  Think food, bath and body products, etc.  No need to spend a lot on those kinds of things.  I've found some unique import items at TJ Maxx in the past.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@CherryHugs

I have a friend who is very wealthy.

Her idea of gift-giving is extremely modest and I have learned from this.

When we give ostentatious gifts, we actually obligate the receiver to give back in kind.

It may seem “chintzy” of me, but in our family we have decided to save whatever $ we could and instead put those $ toward our food for our meal.

Yes, it would be wonderful to be able to give EXACTLY what each person would LOVE.

Perhaps movie tickets? Or $5 toward a Starbucks  or Sonic (drive-in)? I know a person who tucked that gift card toward a Sonic or Dairy Queen into a Christmas card... that was a fun treat!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

For your adult children who are not married.; My son has a birthday the first week in January and I tend to buy too much. Also I give for Chanukah.  He likes eagles, America, cars and rt.66 where we live so I buy tees which he has many. A lot of electronics I have seen on tv he has something like it. He is older, almost 59. my only child.

Esteemed Contributor

Are they tea or coffee drinkers? A basket of different kinds/flavors might be nice. You can add some assorted types of cookies. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Need Gift Ideas Please

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't take a person's economic status into consideration when I buy gifts.  I don't really think about what people need; I just think about what they would line and enjoy and what my budget is. Everyone wants something.  Your friends sound like a couple we are friends with.  They don't make much money but they don't want for anything.  I only give gift cards to teens and college aged kids and that's because I don't know what to buy them.  This year, We plan to give my friend a scarf that I originally bought for myself.  It's a huge square wool/cashnere blend scarf and it's a soft peachy-beige color.  She'll love it because it has that handmade, vintage feel that she likes.  Her husband is an amazing cook, self taught.  We're going to give him a large rectangular pizza stone that he can also use for things other than pizza.  Bumped into that one on Amazon last week.  Not things they would ever buy for themselves but gifts they will certainly enjoy.  Last year we gave them a combined gift card to a very nice wine store in town.  We thought it would be nice for them to buy a bottle or two of nice wine that they wouldn't be able to buy on their budget.  I think gift giving is only hard when you over think it.  

@CherryHugs, I think ^this^ is a very helpful response and is right on. 

You have already noticed that they bake and eat a lot of sweets. Go with that, and don't worry about your gift choice. They will be touched that you remembered them and that your gift is from YOU -- and that you paid attention to what they like.

Go to any online store, including Williams Sonoma (free shipping, I think, right now), and sort by low to high price, and pick something to be shipped to them (click on "gift" so the receipt will not include the price).

Examples: a silicone baking sheet, a silicone spatula, a kitchen towel. I have personally received such gifts from friends and have been very pleased to have such a thoughtful gift. You can never have too many kitchen things or food gifts if that's what you like!

It really is the thought that counts. Have confidence in your choice, because whatever it is and no matter the cost, they are going to feel good about it.

Happy Thanksgiving (and gift shopping)!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CherryHugs  There is a brand of tea (Harley) that is very good that is available at Target/Walmart for about $5-6 per tin.  It includes 20 sachets of tea that are quite nice.  The blueberry is the best!

You could make a basket with a couple of mugs and a tea tin (unique mugs at TJMaxx for a few dollars) or wrap in cellophane if  you don't have any extra $ for a basket.

You can see how fancy the tea bags are in the picture.  The little crystal canister on the left was purchased about a week ago from Ross for only $5.99.  Check out Ross too for unusual gifts that are very reasonable.

tea.jpg

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

@CherryHugs

I would also include a beautiful card with whatever you decide that you value their friendship thru the years.

I know that I would appreciate heartfelt words.

Honored Contributor

Thank you SO much.   So many great ideas you shared. It is much appreciated and I have plenty of good options to pick from since I could not think of any! Smiley Embarassed  Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving to all.Man Very Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Get a basket, put in packages of tea's, cocoa's, ciders.  Fancy up the basket for the holiday.  Throw in some apples and oranges for color, 

I like that idea.  You could also pick up some cute/interesting things from the Dollar Store and put them in the basket.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal wrote:

Get a basket, put in packages of tea's, cocoa's, ciders.  Fancy up the basket for the holiday.  Throw in some apples and oranges for color, 

@CherryHugs @qualitygal  This is a great idea!  I don't like to get people anything they have to store, display or dust.  Other items to include would be an oven mitt, dish towels or cloths for the season, salt grinder with the salt inside, spice blend, a shaker of cinnamon sugar and some hot cocoa mix, scone mix, etc. etc.  Maybe a pretty wooden spoon or spatula, etc.

Lots of great kitchen gadgets are inexpensive like things to reclose bags (those that just slide into the folded over bag top are wonderful)--how about some gourmet popcorn and bag closers?  I think that would be neat!  Put them in a pretty big holiday bag.  Who wouldn't want that???

By the way, that great tea someone above mentioned is HARNEY tea--they have excellent prices and a super variety of well-prices and beautifully packed teas on their website.