Honored Contributor

Re: Need Advice saying "No" politely....

@hckynut wrote:

(thread title) 

@Starpolisher 

Pretty easy for me to comment, I won't give advice. When someone asks me a "Yes/No" question, I can say NO just as easily as I say Yes!  On certain things I do not feel obligated  to give a reason for either.

hckynut 

@hckynut We nurture everyone!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

I was in a store once and heard the best answer I have would never, even thought of to people whom bring things up that you feel backed into a corner with.

Just say "I am sorry, but I am not comfortable with this conversation.".

You could say "I'm sorry, I am not comfortable advertising (or having signs in my yard).".

@ECBG Excellent but why not eliminate the "I'm sorry. . . ?"  I'm saying this because I am old and cranky.  Woman Sad

Really good responses from everyone!  

I've used this one many times...I'll excuse you for asking, if you excuse me for not answering.   

It's from an old Ann Landers column. 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

Tell her you don't put political posters and signs on your but you do wish her well in the election.  There's nothing wrong with the truth.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@aroc3435 I saw something funny today in our old neighborhood:  A sign for one candidate; a sign for the opposing candidate;

and then the next one was for "Mary's son" (to keep from getting this deleted maybe?) 2020.

I had a really good smile on my face about those!  These were all about 4 houses apart.  

@Sooner 

That very sign is on a front lawn on my son's street!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

You do not owe everyone an explanation. 

@Sooner 

Just posted this “truth” about saying “no” in Community Chat. 

Respected Contributor

I don't know why you need advice. It's very simple to say what you just wrote – that you don't put yard signs out and you keep your politics to yourself. Period. Tell her that's a hard and fast house rule. Period. End of story.

Valued Contributor

You had the perfect answer yourself.  I don't like to advertise my political preferences either.  I think your friend will understand.

Honored Contributor

Just say what you told us here.

Sometimes it isn't a good idea to post anything in front of our house/windows/etc..  

Even small flags on the Fourth get broken in half by kids? adults?  Who knows. 

Some people don't like 'this and that', and some people aren't very nice.  

Probably better to keep 'neutral' (sign-wise).  And your neighbors will continue to like you, no matter how you secretly v*te.   

No use in ruining a good thing.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

One of the best lines I learned and used -- THIS DOESN'T WORK FOR ME. If people try to argue your statement, again, more firmly state, THIS DOESN'T WORK FOR ME.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

I need some advice on how to say No to someone.

A former co-worker is running for Board of Ed in my town. We are not close friends, more like friendly acquaintances.  She texted me and asked if she could display a campaign sign in my yard. I want to say no without causing any problems between us. What,  how should I put it? I keep my politics to myself!🤔

How did you end up handling this? I'm curious to know. So many OP's leave us wondering. 🤔