Respected Contributor

Need Advice saying "No" politely....

I need some advice on how to say No to someone.

A former co-worker is running for Board of Ed in my town. We are not close friends, more like friendly acquaintances.  She texted me and asked if she could display a campaign sign in my yard. I want to say no without causing any problems between us. What,  how should I put it? I keep my politics to myself!🤔

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Regular Contributor

Re: Need Advice saying "No" politely....

I would tell her exactly what you just said and wish her well.

what I like about my neighborhood is that not one house has a political sign. My neighbors will be my neighbors long after the election.

Honored Contributor

Just tell her you perfer not to display any political ads at all.  Then wish her the best of luck.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Re: Need Advice "No" politely....

@Starpolisher  - Are you married?  Can you say your husband won't want a sign in your yard?  Yeah, I know it's not being honest, but I understand how you feel.

Esteemed Contributor

Just nicely tell her you do not display ANY political signs in your yard.

Trusted Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

I need some advice on how to say No to someone.

A former co-worker is running for Board of Ed in my town. We are not close friends, more like friendly acquaintances.  She texted me and asked if she could display a campaign sign in my yard. I want to say no without causing any problems between us. What,  how should I put it? I keep my politics to myself!🤔

I think you answered your own question and it was perfect.  "I prefer to keep my politics to myself" and I don't blame you.  I wish businesses didn't have them either.  I am not a fan of them in general

Respected Contributor

I'd respond in kind with another text saying "I'm afraid that won't be possible. I wish you all the best in your campaign" and leave it at that. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Just tell her you don't post ANY signs in your yard,  

Trusted Contributor

@Starpolisher Everyone here has given really good advice. The problem is that some people can't or won't take no for an answer. If your friend is one of those people, don't allow her to push or guilt you into displaying her sign. How she reacts will be her problem, not yours.

Esteemed Contributor

@Starpolisher  I went to a seminar once and is was all about how to stand your ground "politely".  I am one of those people who have a hard time saying no.  What I learned that day and has helped me over the past several years is the response......."I'd love to help you but I can't".   Putting it this way says it all.