Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need Advice saying "No" politely....

@KBEANS wrote:

@Starpolisher wrote:

I need some advice on how to say No to someone.

A former co-worker is running for Board of Ed in my town. We are not close friends, more like friendly acquaintances.  She texted me and asked if she could display a campaign sign in my yard. I want to say no without causing any problems between us. What,  how should I put it? I keep my politics to myself!🤔

How did you end up handling this? I'm curious to know. So many OP's leave us wondering. 🤔  

@KBEANS She answered in message #12.

"Thanks everyone! I did just that! I said, " I keep my politics to myself and prefer not to display any political signs in my yard."

And I wished her well with the upcoming election. 

I heard back from her and she said, "Thank you. I understand."

So that's that! Thanks again everyone!"

Respected Contributor

@cotton4me 

Thanks! How the hay did I miss it? I read the whole thread! so I thought. 😂 

Esteemed Contributor

@dmod nj wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

I was in a store once and heard the best answer I have would never, even thought of to people whom bring things up that you feel backed into a corner with.

Just say "I am sorry, but I am not comfortable with this conversation.".

You could say "I'm sorry, I am not comfortable advertising (or having signs in my yard).".

@ECBG Excellent but why not eliminate the "I'm sorry. . . ?"  I'm saying this because I am old and cranky.  Woman Sad

Really good responses from everyone!  

I've used this one many times...I'll excuse you for asking, if you excuse me for not answering.   

It's from an old Ann Landers column. 

I think that response is appropriate if the person is asking a question that's rude or none of their business.  But this is simply a request, and doesn't deserve a response that's snarky.

"I'm sorry.  I'd rather not." said firmly and with a smile is all that's required.  I would also wish her luck.  Saying no can be done nicely.