Trusted Contributor

Re: Need Advice saying "No" politely....

@LindaSal That's all good in theory but some people can be very persistent and will ask, no, demand, more of a reason. I know someone like this. She will push and push until she gets her way. If  I stood my ground, which I usually did, she would get an attitude and not speak to me for months. Needless to say, we are no longer friends. I don't deal well with spoiled brats.

Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone! I did just that! I said, " I keep my politics to myself and prefer not to display any political signs in my yard."

And I wished her well with the upcoming election. 

I heard back from her and she said, "Thank you. I understand."

So that's that! Thanks again everyone!😊

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Starpolisher Well done.  Kindness, honesty, respect.  In a nutshell.

Honored Contributor

You can be assertive without being aggressive.  For me it means simply saying "No" and not "H e** NO" or not adding cuss words following "NO."

It's ok to say NO!  Politely, as described above.  You do not owe everyone an explanation.  However if you'd like to add something like "I don't do that" or something else fine.

But you don't have to lie, make up a story, or something.  It is OK to refuse a request.   It it no more wrong to refuse than it is to ask something of someone. 

Respected Contributor

My neighborhood has some signs here and there but I don’t post any either especially in this political climate.  I’d prefer not to know everyone’s political views.    I did see though a yard with signs from both parties and in between them they placed a handmade sign that said “House Divided”. 😀

Esteemed Contributor

I would just explain to her that I didn't want campaign signs in my yard. If people can feel comfortable to ask us for things, we should be able to feel comfortable telling them no. This is something I've struggled with too, but it feels so good to say no sometimes. 

I will say, we had an aquantaice ask us a few years back to put a campaign sign in our yard. We let him. We use to go to church with him, my dh had worked with him also, we thought we knew his values. Ha, he got elected and he pulled some stunts. Never again will we let anyone put a sign in our yard. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Starpolisher   I know the situation has been resolved with regard to the request from your former co-worker and that all is well.

I've volunteered for campaigns since I was 18 and was always interested in government maany years prior to that and to this day.

I'm just curious, though.  Normally, when a candidate asks if you are willing to display a campaign sign they also ask you to vote for them.  Did she ask you that and you said yes?  That may explain why she followed up with the yard sign request.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Respected Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

My neighborhood has some signs here and there but I don’t post any either especially in this political climate.  I’d prefer not to know everyone’s political views.    I did see though a yard with signs from both parties and in between them they placed a handmade sign that said “House Divided”. 😀

Lol. I am also NOT a fan of the signs. But THAT is funny. Love it.

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 I saw something funny today in our old neighborhood:  A sign for one candidate; a sign for the opposing candidate;

and then the next one was for "Mary's son" (to keep from getting this deleted maybe?) 2020.

I had a really good smile on my face about those!  These were all about 4 houses apart.  

Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher, you handled it very well. I don't think that just saying "No" is a good idea. It sounds snippy. You reason was perfect.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland