Esteemed Contributor

Re: Narcissistic men - anybody know one?

I have an ex son-in-law who was brought up to think he was Gods's gift to the world. He kept telling  my daughter that he was destined for greatness. His problem was that no one else on this planet saw that greatness. He did have a talent for getting fired, while my daughter worked two jobs to support the family. His best friend felt sorry for him and gave him a job. Unfortunately, he never showed up for work on time and never put in a full day (he HAD to go to the health club to maintain his svelte physique). Needless to say, the friend fired him. My ex son in law called him a jerk. After a few years of this, my daughter had enough and kicked him out. I imagine he's still waiting for his destiny of greatness.

Esteemed Contributor

Hey Carmie, you should write a book of instructions on how to deal with narcissistic people, I love it.Woman LOL

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

OMG, @Vivian. I know someone EXACTLY the same!

Muddling through...
Valued Contributor

I have put up with one at work for the last 14 years. A mild anxiety drug is all that has kept me from killing him. I finally had enough recently and I let him have it. I told him everything I have been wanting to say for all these years. He is acting better but I am keeping my distance and staying on my toes. If he starts in again, I will too. It's been so pleasant lately not having to listen to him. I don't even have to take my nerve pills any longer. I am standing up for myself from now on. And yes, many people think he is absolutely wonderful and charming. I hope they never have to find out differently for their sakes.

Esteemed Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

My former neighbor is basically unemployable. He was a stay at home dad for 10 years and after his wife kicked him out and got a restraining order, he couldn't find a job. He got hired as a substitute teacher, but got fired from that because, well I can only speculate, but he said it was because he supported a particular candidate. I doubt that was the reason 

@DrKelli  I think I dated this guy years ago.  He always wanted me to pick up more hours waiting tables, so that he could eat nice meals like the ones his mommy makes.  He would sit at a car dealership all day and pretend to be a car salesman while watching YouTube videos.  (I know this, because he would send text messages to me about what he was doing.)  Since he was making no money, I asked him why he wouldn't go back to a restaurant job.  He said he had "paid his dues" already.  He thought he was too good for it, but he had no problem asking me to work more hours to provide for him.  The guys who lived in our building generously offered to get him a job at the factory where one was a line worker and one was in a management role.  He acted like he was interested, but said he had a bad back.  Then the moment we got back to our apartment, he went on and on about how he wasn't going to do "dirty shirt" work.

I got out as soon as I could.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

I know a couple of narcissistic women and a few narcissistic men are on the news these days.  Male or female, I don't like them and avoid them like the plague.  What I don't understand is how so many people support a narcissist.   

Esteemed Contributor

@gabstoomuch wrote:

The problem is, most can be charming, charismatic, and so kind. They are masters of luring people to them. Then the mask drops, and you find the true person.

@gabstoomuch  Yes!!  That is the perfect description of my aforementioned ex-boyfriend.  He seemed so kind and reasonable, but within a week of us moving in together, the mask fell off.  I guess he felt like he owned me at that point.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Honored Contributor

I'm not quite sure about the definition of a Nar, but, in general:  Ignore and keep smiling.  That really 'gets' to them. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

I have known many having worked 50 years in the medical, legal and corporate world.  I think in the USA, we have many....I live in Italy part time and travel a lot and I don't see it as much in other cultures.  I love my Country and the USA but as a culture, I think we are a bit more self focused....it's just my personal opinion and just based upon my own experiences through the years.....I really see the behavior a lot in young people, especially.  

Esteemed Contributor

Just a follow-up on my narcissistic former son-in-law, the one who felt he was headed for greatness. I just learned yesterday that he was fired from his latest job. I think that means 4 firings in five years. Once again, he called his boss a jackass. How can this man take all these firings and blame all those bosses, including one who had been his best friend? It just points to his narcissism.