Honored Contributor

Re: Narcissistic men - anybody know one?

I worked at the desk at several big hospitals and some of the doctors were narcissistic. It didn't seem to affect their patients, but it affected their working relationships with the nurses and even each other. I had no respect for them and would never recommend them even though they were highly skilled. Sometimes the nurses would screw things up for them to get back at them.

Esteemed Contributor

I married one!  They are everywhere! 

Respected Contributor

My former neighbor is basically unemployable. He was a stay at home dad for 10 years and after his wife kicked him out and got a restraining order, he couldn't find a job. He got hired as a substitute teacher, but got fired from that because, well I can only speculate, but he said it was because he supported a particular candidate. I doubt that was the reason 

Esteemed Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

I married one!  They are everywhere! 

Are you still married?  I can't imagine having to live with someone with that personality....

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Legally.  Not living with him anymore.  Was trapped financially for a while.  What misery!

Esteemed Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I work with some very narcissistic men (they're high level executives). It's really getting to me. Most have no conception of "turn taking" in everyday conversation. They treat others disrespectfully. If you know any men like this, what are your secrets for coping with them?

Interact with them as little as possible.  Most of them don't converse with you they simply tell you!  Afterall, THEY know!

Honored Contributor

Easily recognizable, they are never in the wrong, someone else is always to blame, their own behavior is always good and right.  Additionally, they do not feel remorse.

I know one - can't disclose name here.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I worked for a Doc. that was a narcissist, in fact he was their king.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I work with some very narcissistic men (they're high level executives). It's really getting to me. Most have no conception of "turn taking" in everyday conversation. They treat others disrespectfully. If you know any men like this, what are your secrets for coping with them?

Divorce him. As quickly as possible. Don't be naive and foolish as I was and think he will grow up or just needs love. They are toxic. 

Esteemed Contributor

Oh yeah, Former husband. As OP said, business exec.

He hated if he thought someone was laughing at him. That made him furious!