Esteemed Contributor

Narcissistic men - anybody know one?

I work with some very narcissistic men (they're high level executives). It's really getting to me. Most have no conception of "turn taking" in everyday conversation. They treat others disrespectfully. If you know any men like this, what are your secrets for coping with them?

Respected Contributor

Re: Narcissistic men - anybody know one?

My former neighbor was a classic narcissist. He was always the victim and everyone had wronged him. When he filed for divorce, trying to scare her into doing what he wanted, she immediately lawyered up and told him to jump in a lake when he tried to withdraw it. You can't win with them, so say what you need to and walk away. They don't value other people, so you have to go into self preservation mode.

Honored Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

My former neighbor was a classic narcissist. He was always the victim and everyone had wronged him. When he filed for divorce, trying to scare her into doing what he wanted, she immediately lawyered up and told him to jump in a lake when he tried to withdraw it. You can't win with them, so say what you need to and walk away. They don't value other people, so you have to go into self preservation mode.

@DrKelli   Your former neighbor musta moved in next door to me.....

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Yes, unfortunately my younger brother. He's in love with himself, thinks he can do no wrong, doesn't care at all about the feelings of others. Not even his own family, including his mother. He's cruel even to her.

He's a pathological narcissist in my opinion, his behavior is scary.

He was the youngest and was spoiled, which imo played a big role in turning him into a narcissist. But at a certain point you have to take an honest look at yourself and change. Highly doubt he ever will.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I worked for attorneys and doctors so, yes, I knew narcissistic men...and women.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh yeah--my brother-in-law......he's obnoxious....

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy if you worked with attorneys and doctors, I am SURE you know what I'm experiencing! 😗

Esteemed Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I work with some very narcissistic men (they're high level executives). It's really getting to me. Most have no conception of "turn taking" in everyday conversation. They treat others disrespectfully. If you know any men like this, what are your secrets for coping with them?

I know one very well....my brother-in-law.....my secret for coping with him.....after years of putting up with him, I finally told him what I thought about him....we no longer speak to each other.....my husband still tolerates him....which drives me crazy!

Honored Contributor

Oh  I love to mess with people like this... men and woman.

What I like to do is move very close to them. I move into their space.

this makes them nervous.  People who are in our personal space are there for one of three reasons 1, to confront and fight or 2. to hug, kiss or 3. Invited by us to provide a service... like do our hair or clean our teeth, etc.

When you invade their space and not for one of those reasons, they get confused and get uncomfortable and back up or move away.  When they do, I take a few steps forward into their space again acting like this is perfectly normal.

i have " danced" people around the room on occasion using this technique.

Mostly I, like most of us just have to excuse their bad behavior and their insecurities as everything is about me, me, me to them. They are really messed up people with definite social flaws.

If I am not in a position to mess with them, I just avoid them when possible and try not to get too upset when around them.

Honored Contributor

Ha, mine's a lawyer too. Laughing, but crying inside. It's probably a chicken/egg, certain jobs attract narcissists then the job just makes it worse.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"