Honored Contributor

Re: NO COCKTAILS = POOR SERVICE

@coconut1818 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@coconut1818 wrote:

I have not noticed poor service but I have noticed if you just ask for water they get a "look".  I can only have caffeine first thing in the morning or it reeks havoc on my sleep.  If I'm out for lunch and ask for water I feel like they don't like it but I add extra money to my tip to compensate for not ordering a drink.

@coconut1818 It's extremely nice of you to add some extra to your tip for the water.  I've personally never seen anyone else do it.Smiley Happy

Thank you ECBG.  I just feel like it's the right thing to do.  It's not their fault I can't drink tea, coffee or soda.  Wish restaurants offered decaffeinated tea or soda, but here in Kansas that isn't an option, at least in my area.

@coconut1818   I figured out, I can order herbal tea (comes hot) and a huge glass of ice w/ lemon. That's my go to dinner drink after 6PM.

Honored Contributor

We never order anything to drink except water when we dine out so that has not been an issue when it comes to service. The only time we have been neglected is when the wait staff is stressed and we make allowances for that.

Honored Contributor

No.  And if I did feel I was getting poor service for whatever reason, it is unlikely I would return to that restaurant.  We have so many choices where we live.

Honored Contributor

I'm not a shrinking violet; I have no problem with signaling my server when I need something.  Yes, it's true they do give more attention to larger parties who are ordering drinks and I'm perfectly ok with that.  They are operating a business, a money making business so it makes sense that they spend more time on the tables that spend the most money and therefore tip more.  Which isn't to say that I sit quietly and wait my turn if I'm being ignored. I wave my server over to me.  If you tell another server that you need more bread, they'll find your server for you.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

you do get a look sometimes with water only.  I always tip very well. Sometimes I just don’t want a $10 or $12 drink.  Not being cheap but sometimes don’t want alcohol added to my meal.  A couple drinks can turn your reasonable night out to a $40-50 higher bill, I’d rather get water most times.  That’s just me.  Sometimes we will have a drink after we get home from a meal out.  

Honored Contributor

@Shanus. I never had your experience but if I did, I'd  ask for the manager and have a short chat with him/her on my way out.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Shanus   This has never been my experience, and I don't drink alcohol.

Honored Contributor

Most places we go to bring water as soon as we sit down. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yep, I totally believe that.

A Mexican restaurant in town use to be my go to place. Then, they got a liquor license. It has gone down hill ever since. They do try to cater to the ones with the pitchers of margaritas or whatever they are drinking.

Because of this, I have discovered a delicious new Japanese steakhouse type restaurant. They don't serve liquor for now any way, so we are good!

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Most places we go to bring water as soon as we sit down. 

@proudlyfromNJ   Our places do the same, then point to the wine list and point out any drink specials. As soon as we say, "Thanks, I'll stick with the water", we get the eye rolling.