Honored Contributor

Even a first lady found Jackie acceptable. I think the shortened version of names often sounds better. Growing up, every boy got a "Y" at the end of his name. Tommy, Kenny, Ronny, Donny, Bobby....

Valued Contributor

Yep,  my nickname is Mel, short for Melanie.  I love my given name but the ones that call me by my nickname are close friends and family so I see it as a term of endearment. 

My parents named me for the character in Gone With The Wind.

Respected Contributor

My Mother used to say she did not name me George but Georgia. Older Ladies used to call me Georgie. Never liked Georgie what so ever too much teasing.

I raised Stepdaughters  full time and became Gorgy and then Gorg as per their Father calling me that. We have divorced but the nickname is still used.

Honored Contributor

Re: NICKNAMES IN REAL LIFE?

[ Edited ]

@Shanus The only nickname DH and I have, we gave to each other. It all started when we were just married and bought winter look-alike jamies. I call him "Big Jam" and he call's me "Little Jam". We still sign any cards we get for each other this way after 52 yrs!

Honored Contributor

My mother was Betty Ann.  I have the appointed nickname for my name.

Society changed our son's name to the short version.

Are two syllables really that difficult?

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@SloopJohnB wrote:

I do have a nickname that is the popular nickname for my real name.  Without saying what it is, but an example would be like Debbie for Debra or Kathy for Kathleen.  I do like it and it comes in handy when someone calls me on the phone, for instance.  If they don't call me by my nickname I know they either are a salesman or someone that really doesn't know me.

I'm that way with Mrs. I know if you start by calling me Ms. or Mrs. your trying to sell me something or I don't know you. I have never used either title ever. I go by my first and last name.

@Meowingkitty  - I call my clients by their last name.  Mrs. Smith, Ms. Jones, etc.  I'm not trying to sell them anything.  It's a sign of respect.

Honored Contributor

I lived the first 33 years of my life with an extremely unusual first name, and because my dad's last name was a very common FIRST name, I had no last name at all.

MY first name was an adaptation of my grandmother's maiden name, but the result was a name that did not refer to HER ethnicity, but to another totally different one.

I always answered to anything that sounded remotely like my first name, and often found my two names switched in order, making my own name pretty useless for identification until I was in my 20's, when computerization started to organize IDs.

When I married, I comfortably assumed DH'S name and began using my first name, maiden name, and DH's last name as my legal signature which worked until I applied for SS benefits and it became a problem once again, fortunately only briefly because by then, there was my own paper trail of IDs dragging behind me.

Nick?? Too busy after 75 years trying to explain the real thing!

Trusted Contributor

I am not a fan of nicknames myself, years ago I lived next door to a woman who introduced herself as 'Frankie' she was an RN by profession and off duty she would dress very eccentric, with frizzy hair, etc., but that was just her personality.  One day she had invited me into her house to show me a dress she had purchased to wear to a function, while walking through the hallway I noticed a picture on the wall of a beautiful woman, I asked who's that?  She said, that's me, the picture was taken when she graduated from nursing school.  Anyway, she explained that her name was Carrie Allen but gave herself the nickname of 'Frankie' because throughout school she was chubby and was often teased and called 'Carrie Allen watermelon' by classmates.  Kid's can sometimes be so cruel.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for your replies...many fun and unusual stories. 

Valued Contributor

@violann , whew!!  What a deal.  Glad you finally settled into an easier name.