Respected Contributor

NEED HELP WRITING A TRULY STINGING ANALOGY

Bear with me here. It's a bit long.

I am writing an argument as to why I should not have to pay sewer treatment costs on a 50,000 (!) gallon water leak. Most of us have a water meter which measures water input, and sewer costs are based on that amount. Almost all  water that goes into a house exits via the sewer lines, except for watering the lawn, washing the dog, etc.

My normal monthly water usage is only about 500 gallons. Only that amount entered the sewer system. The water company has a policy of "no billing exceptions for leaks." That means they are requiring me to pay sewer treatment costs for 49,500 gallons that went into the ground, not into the sewer system.  

That's just plain mean. This unregulated, private, for-profit utility company specializes in being just plain mean, and my number came up. I have been told their BBB rating is "F."

I can't come up with an equivalent situation which would illustrate just how unfair and greedy this policy is. On their side of the argument, I keep thinking, "If you stay at a hotel that charges resort fees and you don't use any of the amenites, you still pay the fees."  Not really the same thing. This utility is the only option, and it's WATER, not a tennis match.

I want something with a real punch, something that will make any reader immediately understand why their policy can only exist because the utility is completely unregulated.

Please don't comment on other actions I can take. Those bases are all covered. I'm putting this out here because the people who use these forums are smart and extremely verbal and that's whose help I need.

Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: NEED HELP WRITING A TRULY STINGING ANALOGY

My only question is why they don't have anything that tips either them or the user off to the leak? I mean, charge card companies will contact you when they notice unusual activity in your card at which time you can respond.

Trusted Contributor

Hire a top-notch lawyer with experience in utility matters. Let he or she come up with a strategy and contact the sewer agency. An analogy isn't going to make a difference with the type of entity you describe.

Candy

Honored Contributor

Did it leak that much in one month?  I'm so sorry you're getting billed for it.  I had a leak one time, but the utility company notified me before sending the bill.  They told me they would take some off of my bill when I had it fixed, which I did immediately.  My leak wasn't nearly that bad though.  

I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No analogy ideas for you, but I do know that when friends of mine had a 58000 gallon water loss (which the water company found when they came to read the meter), I believe even the extra water-sewer costs were included in their insurance settlement.

PS -  as for the fairness thing -  I pay for water year-round even though I'm a snowbird using none in the months I'm away.  

ETA -  Our water company would not know there was excess usage until they came to read the meter at the house.

Florida Power and Light changed meters some years ago -  no need now for a meterreader to come to the house and, best of all, I can follow my usage on their website.  One summer while I was away, I saw my usage more than double.  Made a call to them and they were able to tell be the very HOUR when the problem began!   I know some people ddidn't want the smart meter installed -  I was sure glad I had one! 

Honored Contributor

Your situation stinks..somethig does not seem right....our utility would notify us if we had drastically exceeded out normal usage...which did happen a few years ago.  They (the city utility) also came out on an emergency basis and shut the water off to the house, at no charge.  All repairs were our because the issue started at the house.

Respected Contributor

Forget writing them a letter which will go in a round file...

Notify your state Utility commission ...the number should be online, in your phone book, or on the bill. ( that is part of the racket of e-billing....they don't have to print the State commission number on your e-bill..you have to work to find it.)

Anyway....look it up online. It's either a Public Utility Commission or a Public Service Commission or some such. Just look up regulatory body for utilities for YOUR state.

Then, either complete an online form, or write or call.

A lot of people don't know that when a Commission complaint is filed, the Utility generally has to incur a cost to address it, which is why they will work hard NOT to have customer complaints go any further than the phone rep, who is reading from a script designed NOT to make the complaint "visible" to the authority.

Another thing....Utilities can be denied rate increases if there are too many unaddressed legitimate complaints.

Please be aware that the commissions are bombarded with complaints about costs, payment plans, service issues (like how the responding techs behaved while at your address) etc, that have nothing to do with service issues. ALL those things go into the rate case structure. That is why Utilities try to dissuade complaints to commissions and try to work it out with the customer.

If that fails, they MAY be able to give you a payment plan.

Another thing...did you contact your homeowner's insurance? It the leak was from a failure on a line that YOU own and maintain, it's possible they may pay that bill.  My mom had water pipes burst in her home from freezing and the insurance company paid the bill for the 30,000 plus gallons of water that sprayed all over the interior and ruined everything. (metered water service).

Good Luck.

Make a complaint to the agency in your state. It won't cost you anything, and, it WILL get attention from the Utility.

Esteemed Contributor

@candyagain wrote:

Hire a top-notch lawyer with experience in utility matters. Let he or she come up with a strategy and contact the sewer agency. An analogy isn't going to make a difference with the type of entity you describe.

Candy

I agree. This is like a chess match. A letter from an attorney would get their attention. You do not want them to place a lien on your property. 

Honored Contributor

Tell them since you made a significant contribution to the raising of the water table in your community, you should be given a credit. commensurate with your donation or at the very least a commendation, but no charge.

I also had a large leak.  My municipal water company didn't try to stick me for the sewer bill but I did have a huge water bill.  We negotiated on the amount and I paid it off at $100/mo.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3   Two points struck me.

One, I wouldn't look for an equivalent 'other situation' to argue or exemplify my point. It says (to me) your angle is weak on it's own and needs bolstering.

Your points are about water consumption vs wastewater treatment; their pricing and billing policies, etc.

Are there "acts of God" involved? I'd hire an attorney to find out how rare this situation is, and the outcomes of similar disputes throughout your area or state.

Keep your argument where your strength is, on topic.

Two, I was with you until I got to,

"...the company specializes in being just plain mean".

What, are we on the playground now? This is a business dispute between adults. Leave those things out if you don't want to sabotage your position.