Esteemed Contributor

NEED A LITTLE HELP ON HOW THINGS WORK HERE

Every time I click on an emoticon all I get are words telling me what it means...how can I get the picture?  Years ago I typed in a saying at the bottom of my page which disappeared when the boards changed.  I would like to type in a new saying that will stay on my page and am embarrassed to admit I forgot how to do it.  HELP...anyone?  Thank you in advance for your assistance.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Re: NEED A LITTLE HELP ON HOW THINGS WORK HERE

[ Edited ]

@Lindsays Grandma,  Please don't feel embarrassed.    The new system changed the way we add a siggy, plus it's easy to forget these things.  

To add a signature, click on "My Settings" or "Edit My Preferences" (left side of screen or in drop-down menu under your name at the top of the screen).   Under "Personal" and "Personal Information" you'll see a place to type in your "Signature."  

To italicize, precede the signature with <em> and end it with </em>.

If you want the signature in bold, precede it with <b>  and add </b> at the end.

Be sure to click/tap "SAVE" at the bottom of the page to create it.    You can change it anytime you want.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you want to be creative with the siggy and add color, this is a copy of the instructions I've been posting since we moved to the new platform:

Precede the signature with

<font color="nameofcolor">

but don't use "nameofcolor" literally...   fill in the color's actual name between those quotation marks.   You can end with </font> but actually the system will fill that in for you.

Link to all the color names:
http://www.w3schools.com/colors/colors_names.asp

As an example,  here's how I typed mine in with the HTML code (I chose to make the siggy a dark black and italicized).:

<font color="black"><em>"Do not mistake kindness for weakness, silence for ignorance, or calmness for acceptance." (source unknown)</em></font>

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lindsays Grandma wrote:

Every time I click on an emoticon all I get are words telling me what it means...how can I get the picture? 

Years ago I typed in a saying at the bottom of my page which disappeared when the boards changed.  I would like to type in a new saying that will stay on my page and am embarrassed to admit I forgot how to do it.  HELP...anyone?  Thank you in advance for your assistance.

I'm not sure why you can't click on the emotie and add it to your post.   If I hover my cursor over them I do see the name/meaning of them, but if I click on one it's added to my post.    Like this:  Heart    

While composing the post, it will appear that only the word is there (with a colon punctuation mark before and after it) but after hitting "POST" the actual image shows up.     Is that what you saw?

Which device and browser are you using, and is all the software up-to-date?

Esteemed Contributor

Hi dooBdoo...You are so sweet for posting all of this info for me.  I appreciate it very much.  I have been out for the better part of the day, didn't get a chance to try any of it but wanted to get back to you so you wouldn't think I am ignoring you.  I am going to get started in a little while and will get back to you if I have any problems.  Actually I'll get back to you one way or the other.Smiley Happy  This is what I mean about the emoticon.

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma,  Please don't feel embarrassed.    The new system changed the way we add a siggy, plus it's easy to forget these things.  

To add a signature, click on "My Settings" or "Edit My Preferences" (left side of screen or in drop-down menu under your name at the top of the screen).   Under "Personal" and "Personal Information" you'll see a place to type in your "Signature."  

To italicize, precede the signature with <em> and end it with </em>.

If you want the signature in bold, precede it with <b>  and add </b> at the end.

Be sure to click/tap "SAVE" at the bottom of the page to create it.    You can change it anytime you want.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

Hi dooBdoo...You are so sweet for posting all of this info for me.  I appreciate it very much.  I have been out for the better part of the day, didn't get a chance to try any of it but wanted to get back to you so you wouldn't think I am ignoring you.  I am going to get started in a little while and will get back to you if I have any problems.  Actually I'll get back to you one way or the other.Smiley Happy  This is what I mean about the emoticon.

Hi, @Lindsays Grandma!    Thanks for the kind words!    Your emoticon worked fine.   You'll notice it changed from the word description to an actual image after you clicked/tapped "POST."   So that's one problem checked off the list.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm back dooBdoo...I am thrilled about the emoticon, I was stunned for a

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

Hi, @Lindsays Grandma!    Thanks for the kind words!    Your emoticon worked fine.   You'll notice it changed from the word description to an actual image after you clicked/tapped "POST."   So that's one problem checked off the list.

n instant when I saw the smiley face where there wasn't one when I sent the message.Smiley Very Happy  I sat back and said to myself, How did that happen?

I did everything you suggested but haven't found the word "Signature" any place.  I did find the word Tagging and thought that might help but it didn't.  I clicked on My Settings and I tried Edit my Preferences and the drop-down menu.  No where was there a place to type in "your signature".   I think the Boards were easier before they changed it, just my opinion.

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma

Choose My Settings:

image.jpeg

Under "Personal" click/tap subsection "Personal Information" and you'll see this.  Be sure to click/tap SAVE to save your changes.

image.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

Okay dooBdoo...You are a fantastic teacher, don't know how you learned to do all those things.  Me?  I am not very computer savvy but I was a pro with making Warner Bros buildings with hundreds of thousands of square feet run smoothly and thousands of fellow employees happy and comfortable.Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

dooBdoo...I couldn't have done this without you, thank you so much for your patience, understanding and kindness.  I wish I knew how to send you some beautiful flowers and maybe one day I'll learn how to do that too.Woman Very Happy