Trusted Contributor

Very wise move, I did not have the LUXURY of having a wedding.  We got married at the Justice of the Peace.  We used our money for the deposit on a house and we are STILL in the house TODAY.

Wedding are a blessing for those who can afford it. 

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

Congratulations!  That is wonderful news. What a blessing to get a DIL.

My son got married while he was in the military and let me know afterward.  At the time, I was in the process of planning a wedding for his older sister.

He just had to one up her...he always does.  He has always been very competitive.

So, I had two kids get married the same year..one in September and the other in October. Both seem happy.  That's all I asked for.

Honored Contributor

I do wish them the best.

weddings are so stressful. the worst seems to rear its ugly head when family weddings are happening. 

best to do is do the wedding with just the justice of peace and however many attendents are needed to make it legal.

so easy to have a family gathering at a later date. just easier on everyone in involved with any family gathering.

Honored Contributor

Yes, as a little girl I dreamed about the pretty wedding dress, flowers, and big cake, but when the time came, my husband and I wanted to get married at the courthouse by a highly respected judge I had come to know thru my job as a legal secretary.   

My wedding was not at all what I wanted, and to this day, 43 years later, my wedding is not a safe topic between me, and my mother.   My grandmother insisted I get married in our church, and my mother and MIL took over and ran the show.  Things got really tense between Mom and I at the time, and I finally told her to do whatever the H e l l she wanted, and I would just show up at the time I set.  

At 62 years old, I continue to bite my tongue and change the subject if mom starts in the direction of bringing up my wedding, as I will not be able to hide my dissatisfaction with the event she and my MIL planned.  My MIL left this world without knowing my true feelings, and I’d rather leave my feelings buried than make a big deal of it to my own mother now.    

I absolutely will not do to my daughters what was done to me, should they decide to get married.   Hopefully I’ll get a heads up and they’ll just go off and do it their way.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop thanks for the positive support from you and many other posters.I am heating all kinds of negativity from friends I see daily.I think that a wedding is between the bride and groom and however they make it work for them.I just wish a long and happy life together along with a couple of grandchildren if possible.LOL

Respected Contributor

@dex Congratulations! My experiences with the younger generation has been weddings, some big weddings. My daughter had a big wedding. She's our only child and that's what they wanted. So, we did it. It was beautiful! That said, your kids did the right thing.  Spending all that money for 1 night when that money could have been put to soo much better use. Bravo for them! Smart kids and I give them a lot of credit. Sending them only great wishes for a happy and healthy marriage and a wonderful life together. You'll be a grandma soon enough. Stay well and congratulations again.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

Re: My son and his fiancé

[ Edited ]

@dex

Congrats to your son & fiance'! 

My younger son & fiance decided to do the same.  They bought a home & go on vacations vs. spending big $$$ on a wedding.

Valued Contributor

@dex

How nice.  I think it will be so much fun for you to get together after they return from their honeymoon.  

Great news, Whatnow!  Congratulations, new MIL & future GM!  

Contributor

@dex wrote:

My son just sent me a text that they will be getting married in June and going to the Bahamas.I am so excited for them.They aren’t having a wedding but will have a family get together when they return.

Very sensible! You must be a proud Mom! Congratulations to them!