Respected Contributor

Just curious do you keep your A/C set on 50 in the summer? I woul be miserable in 50 degrees. I would have to wear gloves and wrap up in a blanket. 

Esteemed Contributor

I couldn’t do the 50’s that is bone chilling. I like to sleep at 65 at night, but during the day I have to set on 70. I don’t know how you do it @Luvsmyfam 

Respected Contributor

@50Mickey being single,I have to watch my spending so having temp on 57 or 58 in the winter is ok with me.i have my flannel jammies and robe so I'm cozy.summertime I have air on 74

Respected Contributor

@gizmogal both my grandkids are welcome anytime.trust me I go over and beyond for those 2 and my daughter.i am following my dear parents footsteps

Honored Contributor

Fifty degrees is extremely uncomfortable; it's only 18 degrees above freezing, for goodness sake!

You might get a kerosene heater if cost is an issue.

No way I would stay in that!

Honored Contributor

It's 20 degrees outside tonight and our house is 68 degrees. I won't be hanging out at anyone's home that was only heated to 58 degrees.

Honored Contributor

Your grandson might as well pitch a tent ⛺️ and live outdoors.🤧🤒😧 

Poor kid...😢😩

Honored Contributor

I always lower my thermostat at night.  I cannot be comfortable in a hot room and sometimes put my overhead fan on.  When it is cool I sleep so much better.

However, with that being said, if I have company I try to be considerate and keep the house warmer. Perhaps for the one night a week when your grandson stays over, you can accommodate him.  For me having someone stay over is welcome so I make that my priority.

Respected Contributor

Re: My new houseguest

[ Edited ]

Could never get enough of my grands and love to dog sit my grand pups. So, when they grew up I gave both grands 1 1/2 acres on either side of me. They married, built their houses on their land and I now have beautiful great grands to keep me happy forever (their parents live on the back 40 LOL).

And, yes, that's pretty much how my bro and I were raised as well - by our grandparents. We didn't have a/c or central heat and loved them more than anyone.

Honored Contributor

OP is trying to conserve energy and save money.  Why make her feel bad about it?