Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Thank you.

What does HTH mean?

hey are you trying to speak Russian?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Well, nooooo.........Russian has a different alphabet.

I just have seen "HTH" on here before and wondered what it meant.

Respected Contributor

Yorkie,
It means:

Hope That Helps!

😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

HTH = hope this helps

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

Re: My lip hurts so bad

[ Edited ]

@newziesuzie wrote:

Remedies can have side effects
even if they SEEM "natural".

::
::

http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/chemotherapy/expert-answers/magic-mouthwash/faq-20058071

Answers from Timothy J. Moynihan, M.D.

"Magic mouthwash is the term given to a solution used to treat mouth sores (oral mucositis) caused by some forms of chemotherapy and radiation therapy.

Oral mucositis can be extremely painful and can result in an inability to eat, speak or swallow.

Magic mouthwash provides some relief.

There are several versions of magic mouthwash.

Some are available in pre-measured kits (First-Mouthwash BLM, First-BXN Mouthwash) that can be mixed together by pharmacists, while others are prepared to order by a pharmacist.

If it's determined that magic mouthwash might be helpful, your doctor will write a prescription.

Magic mouthwash usually contains at least three of these basic ingredients:

An antibiotic to kill bacteria around the sore
An antihistamine or local anesthetic to reduce pain and discomfort
An antifungal to reduce fungal growth
A corticosteroid to treat inflammation
An antacid that helps ensure the other ingredients adequately coat the inside of your mouth

Most formulations of magic mouthwash are intended to be used every four to six hours, and to be held in your mouth for one to two minutes before being either spit out or swallowed.

It's recommended that you don't eat or drink for 30 minutes after using magic mouthwash so that the medicine has time to produce an effect.

It's UNCLEAR how effective magic mouthwash is in treating oral mucositis.

That's because of the lack of standardization in the formulations of mouthwash,

and poorly designed studies done to gather data.

SIDE EFFECTS of magic mouthwash may include problems with taste, a burning or tingling sensation in the mouth, drowsiness, constipation, diarrhea, and nausea.

If you have mouth sores, discuss your options with your doctor.

In addition to magic mouthwash, medications and other treatments may help relieve your discomfort."

ETA:
Magic Mouthwash is used for a variety of ailments, chemo and radiation are only two of the reasons. Its the best thing on the market for canker sores, or mouth ulcers, as well as many other oral problems.
The sources saying that it doesn't help mouth ulcers obviously never had any or used it !
My family has been using it since 
1970 and on.
Respected Contributor

Re: My lip hurts so bad

[ Edited ]

I posted the source of the article.

"http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/chemotherapy/expert-answers/magic-mouthwash/faq-20058071"

It's the Mayo Clinic.

In this case they're talking about oral mucositis
but it's about Magic Mouthwash
and it's always good to know about
side effects imho.

"ABC" = Always be careful.

I'm glad it works for you!

👍

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between a "canker" & "cold" sore?

I am not quoting a medical source or anything.  But here is my "layman's" opinion between a canker sore and a cold sore.  Both can be caused by virus.  Usually what we think of as a canker sore is a virus you are born with, catch or get and it repeats it'self over and over most of your life.Like herpes simplex virus.  They errupt  Usually after stress, an illness or a depletion of vitamins.  My grandson had them as a young toddler.  We pin pointed  they acted up when he ate a lot of stuff with red die or those sour dyed candy,  My girl friend gets them when she iss tressed and her immune system is down. They can be on the lip or inside mouth, and painful as heck. They take a long time to heal.

What people commonly call a cold sore can be from a cold or virus, or a fever that dehydrates your lips, mouth.  Or from licking it a lot where bacteria gets in and wracks havoc with the darn thing.  Sometimes antibiotics are needed. In my opinion cold sores are on the area of the lips , or around mouth

Depending upon our upbringing, the area one lives in, cold sores and cankers can mean the same thing, depends on how that person sees it.  JMHO

years ago, I had what I thought was a cold sore.  Had it forever.  I kept licking it and irritating it!  I was in the Dr's office for something else, and it caught his attention.  He said it was a fungus.  I irritated it so much a fungus got in there.  He gave me ointment and in a week it was gone!! OMG, I had struggled with it for weeks, just thinking it was a "cold sore"