Respected Contributor

Re: My husband with Alzheimer’s had a stroke.

@Vivian wrote:

My fears were correct. My husband is not making significant progress in rehab. Today was the worst...recalcitrant and stubborn, angry and belligerent. We found an excellent, albeit very expensive, assisted living place with licensed extensive nursing care. Our doctor will be in charge of monitoring him but there is round the clock nursing care. It looks like a B&B or an old fashioned men's club. It's right next to our alma mater. It's the best we can do. He will hate it.

@Vivian Yes, he will hate it. Almost everyone does. I also know you hate that it has come to this, but it looks like you've found a very nice placement. He will have the medical care and nursing support he needs. Hopefully he will begin to adjust.

Meanwhile, you can take a big sigh of relief, that you have chosen the best plan for him at this time. Focus on you, now. Be good to yourself, with some personal healing of your own.

The unrelenting stress of being a caregiver can take years off of one's own life. I know it had a very negative impact on my own health. I'm still struggling to get back to my former baseline. I'm starting to accept, though, I probably never will.

A high price to pay. I'm proud to have the medical skills I have   providing the best care for my mom, but I can't get those prime years back. It saddens me how much life I've missed.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: My husband with Alzheimer’s had a stroke.

You certainly have a bad load.my prayers are sent to you.